How can I tell if a "new" iPad is eligible for warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

A local guy is selling a brand new iPad (1st generation) that he says he won in a raffle. He also says that warranty has not been activated yet.

I have no reason to doubt what he says, however I want to check if it can be registered for warranty with Apple before I pay him.

Is there any place I can enter the serial number to see if it is eligible for warranty?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Maybe I'm wrong but AFAIK the warranty starts from the purchase date. Hence, someone had to purchase it to give it out in a raffle. ASAIK, there is no such thing as activating a warranty in this case. Maybe this is the wrong link but may work.

EDIT: just checked and that link does give you warranty expiration date. If it doesn't work, google Apple Check Warranty and click on the first link.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What did Apple say when you called one of their stores?

4. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your suggestion. The Apple store could not do anything for me but they transferred to Apple Care who said they will give me the information I neeed when I get the serial number.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

If Apple can validate sales date, it starts at that time. Otherwise it will starts at the build date.

Most Apple resellers will report this information to Apple automatically. Otherwise you may need to provide a receipt of some kind.