How can I tell if a photo is stored locally or in iCloud ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chanc, Sep 18, 2014.

1. chanc macrumors member

chanc

I'll start with an assumption : I assume that the "Photos" tab in the new Photos app shows all my photos, stored locally as well as in iCloud (ie. the old Photostream).

If that assumption is correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), is there a way to tell if a photo is stored locally vs in iCloud ?

The reason I want to know is that I want to aware that a photo is in the cloud if I'm out and about and I don't want to use up my mobile data quota to download photos from the cloud to view.

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

At the moment you can't, but be prepared to bet brow beaten for even bringing it up...

3. chanc thread starter macrumors member

chanc

Thanks ! I've read some of the other Photos related threads as well. I agree that the Apple should be much clearer of what changes they have made to the Photos app. I can't find any clear and detailed information online.

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

That's because there isn't any. Apple's plans for photo management were completely up-ended by the celebrity nudes hack against iCloud that happened a few weeks ago and they released this aspect of the software in a completely broken form as a result. As it stands there's no distinction between photostream photos and photos taken with the device. It's a big problem.