How can I tell if my charger is faulty?

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I use the same iPhone charger to charge my iPhone X and Apple AirPods and the battery drain on both devices is less than satisfactory, could it be that my charger or usb to lighting cable is faulty or am I overthinking this? The charger charges everything to 100% just fine it’s just that the battery life on my AirPods’s case isn’t very great and I just so happen to suspect it might be charger? Does that even make sense or would I know for sure if something was wrong with the charger? I do use the AirPods everyday for several hours at least so perhaps the drain of the AirPod case is normal?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
If they charge to 100% in a reasonable amount of time I’d say theres no problem with the charging brick or the lightning cable..

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
A battery charger isn't going to affect how fast a battery drains.

The charger's only function is to deliver energy to the battery, not regulate how quickly that occurs (the device controls that), nor report the device battery's state of charge (ditto).

If there still any doubts, obtain a USB testing meter, whether from a place like Amazon (faster, but more $), or from eBay or Aliexpress (slower, but cheaper), and do some empirical testing.

Or, simply try another charger/cable and see if it makes any difference.

Reactions: millerj123

Benz63amg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
But what else could possibly could this swift drainage of the battery case of my airpods? i litteraly charged it to 100 yesterday and today its already like 50 percent, i did use my airpods all day yesterday and today but it just doesnt sound right which is why i suspected maybe the charger is faulty or something.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But what else could possibly could this swift drainage of the battery case of my airpods? i litteraly charged it to 100 yesterday and today its already like 50 percent, i did use my airpods all day yesterday and today but it just doesnt sound right which is why i suspected maybe the charger is faulty or something.
Using all day yesterday and today and 50% after that doesn't sound right?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
How is that considered good battery life for an AirPod case?
Pretty sure the case is supposed to supply "up to" 24 hours to the AirPods. So if you used them all day, and have 50% left, sounds pretty on par.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207012

"Your AirPods can get up to 5 hours of listening time or 2 hours of talk time on a single charge.

With multiple charges in your case, you get more than 24 hours of listening time, or up to 11 hours of talk time.

If you charge your AirPods for 15 minutes in your case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time or over an hour of talk time."