How can I tell if my macbook pro has been restored to factory settings?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by govaldesu, Jul 1, 2011.

1. govaldesu macrumors newbie

I just bought I brand new macbook pro (15,4 inch)... but I'm thinking that it may be used (it was a bit dirty when I opened it, but it has no scratches).
    I tried with coconut battery, but it went ok, the battery is new. However they might have changed it.
    Is there a way to know if the mac was restored to factory settings... or perhaps any other way to know if is a used laptop.

thanks,

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Check the serial number to see how old it is. If it's significantly older than it should be for a "new" laptop... it's probably not new.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

where did u buy it from?

4. govaldesu thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it in an official mac store in Chile...
    It has all the "official" envelops of a brand new mac... the thing is that I found small dust specks all over the interior of the box and in the accessories (not on the notebook itself).

According to coconut "Age of your Mac" is 11 weeks.
    Serial number is C02FHFG0DF8V... how can you tell if this correspond to a refurbished unit?

other info:
    cycle count says 1... wich correspond to the initial battery discharge I just did. That's why I think they may have changed the battery.

That's why I thought the only way I could knew for sure if they used it before (maybe for showcasing at the store) was finding out if it was restored to factory settings.

5. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i think it's new. i don't think u have to worry.

when u turned it on for the first time did it have the mac os x intro video?

6. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

I suspect you you have a big problem according to your description.
    If 11 weeks is the age of your machine, it could be a store model or sold out and returned. Also the dust all over the interior of the box and in the accessories tells you the items been stored somewhere while the computer was outside of the box. The official envelops are for birds, so to speak, all the documents are worth nothing.

Did you pay full price or got some kind of discount?

RoyalFlush,

7. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

you can find out how long the hard drive has been on by downloading "smart utility" and finding the power on hours.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

There have been a few cases of a dirty brand new MBP in a never opened box.Think about it, the plants in China that made your MBP aren't always squeaky clean, machining requires cutting oils and creates tool dust and greasy marks. Apple's QC has been slipping up lately. Your computer is brand spanking new, no doubt about it. 11weeks is perfectly normal age, from the time it's built in china, to getting shipped to chile, to sitting on the shelf, to you buying it and opening it up sounds just right.

Changing the battery is more trouble than it's worth to try to "refurbish" a machine. It's new, for sure.

9. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

got another theory. if u bought it from an official apple store...

the clear sticker on the box... was that there? or was it cut? did u see any residue of the sticker in case they took off a the old one and put a new sticker?

it can be that someone returned a mbp within the 14 day period and they just put it in a new box. never heard that happen before but if ur mbp is THAT dirty... then maybe possible. not to be a downer or paranoid... but it suxs to have that in mind.

did u get the intro mac os x video when u first turned it on?

10. govaldesu thread starter macrumors newbie

it says "23"... I have used it for about 5 hours... is it possible that it has 18 hours of use from factory?

other info that might be important... (although I don't understand it well :-S )
    Start/Stop Count is 114
    Power Cycle Count is 105
    G-sense error rate is 1
    Power-off Retract Count is 10
    Disk Shift is 99

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

thanks again