How can I tell if my MacBook Pro is capable of receiving wifi over the 5 GHz band?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohkuipo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ohkuipo macrumors member

Jun 18, 2009
    My MacBook Pro was purchased mid-2007. How can I tell if my computer is capable of communicating over a 5 GHz wifi band? Network Utility says my networking card is capable of Wireless N... Does that guarantee 5 GHz compatibility?
  2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2009
    Wireless N cards usually contain 2-3 radios capable of both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz. The 5GHz can only be activated on a network that doesnt have any b/g connected, or else the computer can only run at the legacy speeds.
  3. ohkuipo thread starter macrumors member

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm having trouble understanding your post.... If there is a network that is a b/g/n hybrid, the computer will utilize b or g, even though it is capable of n? The current dual-band AEBS does both simultaneously. How is that accounted for? The product description page mentions that devices accepting different standards (b, g, n) will automatically utilize the fastest available tech (ie., if you have a modern MacBook and an iPhone, the laptop will use N, and the iPhone will use G, simultaneously.) Your statement appears to contradict this information....

Also, my primary question still stands. How can I determine if my AirPort card is capable of receiving a 5 GHz signal?