How can I tell what screen a MBP has before I buy it!? 9CA3/9CA4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattoligy, May 18, 2010.

1. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Ok iv had two MBPs in the last 10 days and both have been returned for having crap washed out screens in them (9CA3, Lg Phillips) I now specifically want a (9CA4, Samsung) panel! I was within 14 days of purchase and the guy at the Apple Store said he had no way of telling which laptop had which screen without unboxing it so basically forced me to have a refund! I'm now without a MBP Again :-( and I'm actually quite upset, I thought apples customer service was supposed to be really good!?

My question is, with all the serial numbers bar codes etc on the MBP box your telling me apple (A company that sells expensive tech equiptment) has no way of telingl what components are used!?!?

2. nomad421 macrumors member

mattoligy,

No, they have no way of telling externally what panel is used. This is because the panels are seen as equivalent and interchangeable parts. Now, we can argue to no end about visual quality and which panel is "really" the best, but in Apple's eyes, from a manufacturing standpoint, they are all the same. If they recognized certain panels as better than others, don't you think they'd charge extra for them :p ? Anyway, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but third time's a charm . . . right?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nope, no way to tell without opening the box. Sorry.

If it's actually washed out, you should be able to get it replaced under Applecare.

4. mattoligy thread starter macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Thanks for the reply guys...

I guess your right, I still only want the samsung now though lol :p iv had two bad LG screens now and heard good things about the Samsung!! As it stands I got a refund and am free to go to another apple store and demand a MBP with a Samsung screen for my hard earned cash to be spent with them opposed to a competitor :-/ if they have to open more than one box then that's there dum ass problem for not listing components via a sn :)

I think I'll give it a few weeks first though maybe I can find out another way to find out which ones have which panels... This is mac rumors and if anyone knows someone here does lol

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

you can always test the floor model and ask if you can buy that one instead. won't be "new" though.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Jeez. Maybe you should stomp your feet and start crying. For crying out loud, there is no need for them to tie a screen mfg with the serial number. Next brat will whine about the hard drive not being a (fill in the blank). You can't demand anything. Take it or leave it. That's Apple philosophy anyway.
    Plus, you said you've "heard" good things about Samsung panels?? So you have returned two functional units in the hopes of getting a panel you really don't know is even better? Good lord.

7. Mark.W macrumors member

Interesting. From what I've read on this board, LG screens are deemed superior.

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

There are good and poor reports about both...I have the 9CA4 Samsung and it is excellent, but a buddy of mine has a LG/Philips and it looks very good (albeit different than my Samsung as mine is a bit cooler and his a bit on the warm side)...

9. cyclical macrumors regular

Exactly. For example, this chap is having issues with a Samsung panel.

10. mattoligy thread starter macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Maybe you should bite me!! If I'm spending that much money I deserve a quality laptop with a quality screen!! If you can't understand that then you might as well go work for apple... You can add to there already crap customer service then can't you! And as to the take it or leave it philosophy, looks like I'll be leaving it! Such a shame to ruin such a good laptop by using crap screens, I would expect more for that amount of money!?

Why should only a percentage of people get a good screen??

11. sinsin macrumors member

I have already posted my 9CA4 panel with yellow tinge, it's not the panel model that gives this problem, maybe something in the assembly process or handling.

I don't know if someone have really got a good panel without problems after exchange (in 2010 MBPs), I don't know if i should make an appointment with an apple genius or it will be lost time, maybe i should wait that apple recognizes the problem (if it's going to happen soon).

By the way I've obtained very valuable information of all of us!

12. mattoligy thread starter macrumors 6502

mattoligy

what's that dude?

I might give it a while before getting a new one also, maybe they will sort there act out!?