How can I transfer 200GBs worth of files?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iParis, Nov 28, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ok. I'm in sort of a dilemma.
    I found out that my mom is getting me a new computer that has a 320GB hard drive, as oppose to the 640GB WD Desktop External Hard Drive I asked for.

Is there anyway to transfer files to my new computer without using an external hard drive?

~Thanks ^_^

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Get a cross-over cable and connect the two computers directly through the Ethernet port and transfer the files that way. It should be relatively quick.

3. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Ok, thanks.
    How much do those usually run for?
    Link?

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Thanks. Doesn't seem to pricey.
    Anybody have a link to get one at a store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc?
    I can't get one online well because my mom won't let me buy anything online and I don't have a credit card.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can probably get one at any electronics store, but you might not need one. Newer computers generally sense configuration and automatically cross. I don't know about all Windows PCs, but all Macs have done this for years, and I believe it's the same for PCs.

6. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Wait, what?
    Sorry, can you explain that a little bit clearer.
    My new computer will automatically transfer my iTunes library from my old one?
    I didn't know they could do that.:confused:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, no. I mean you can use a normal ethernet cable from your closet instead of buying a crossover cable. Possibly. Definitely true if they're Macs. What kind of computers are they?

8. Queso macrumors G4

Nope. A crossover cable used to always be required if you were plugging two Ethernet devices together directly rather than through a hub or switch. These days though it's getting more common that when you connect two computers together using a normal Ethernet cable the electronics sense there is no hub and one of them will crossover its own transmit and receive settings. So it still works.

However, are these both Macs you're doing this with? If you are just use the Migration Assistant to pull over all your apps, data, music, user accounts etc.

9. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Gateway and an eMachine.
    Don't tell me I should get a Mac instead, I know that.
    I want one really bad.
    That's one of the reasons I didn't want my mom to get me a new computer, she'd end up getting me an eMachine or a Dell.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you old enough to be on Macrumors? I'm asking you what you have to help you figure out if you need a crossover cable, not to tell you to get a Mac. :p

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, I'm 16. xD
    I know that, sorry.
    I was just adding that in there and implying that I would rather have a Mac and that most people would have told me to get one.