iPad How can I transfer files from my old iPad to the iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by John55455, Mar 6, 2013.

1. John55455 macrumors member

Title.

I dont have a computer (iPad only) and id rather not use icloud,dropbox, googledrive, or email because the files that i want to transfer are all sensitive documents like financial records and stock info.

Any ideas? If I have to I'll use a cloud service but id be much more comfortable not having my information on an offsite server.

Thanks

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Only way to do it is back up the old iPad, then when setting up the new iPad, select restore from the old iPad. But, the only way to back up is either connect to iTunes (need a computer) or use iCloud.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How many files are we talking about, and what format are they in? If it is a manageable number, you could possibly find a file management app that lets you transfer them between the iPads. I don't know of one off the top of my head, but it's possible to cobble together a solution somehow. Otherwise, you'll have to backup your old iPad and restore to the new one. If you had a computer, then you could make an encrypted backup, but if you don't, then iCloud backup is your only option.

4. John55455 thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks guys. I guess I'll just use iCloud then.

5. kevinloyed macrumors newbie

I also got such a nice & valuable information.

6. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

You have to choose one or the other. Unfortunately direct iPad to iPad transfer is not an option (i.e. via Bluetooth or cable). I'd go for the iCloud. If data is especially sensitive - you must find a computer and do the transfer via iTunes.

7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

the bad thing with icloud is when you have large data ie 16 GB dan your internet connection is not adequate.

I still would suggest using computer to sync for faster transfer.

8. Macrdb macrumors newbie

Kingston's WID is another option

Another option is Kingston's Wi Drive (WID) which is essentially the flash drive that the iPad doesn't have. The WID is about 1/3 the size of a small cell phone. It can transmit and receive data securely to or from an iPad or other type of tablet. It can also plug into a PC and act as a flash drive. I have been using one for about a year without a problem.