How can I transfer large amounts of "songs" over ethernet between to macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Like the title asks? How can this be done? I have my iMac and I want to transfer the large library of songs over and ethernet cable connected between the two Macs. I remember seeing this be done. How would I go about doing this?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

As long as you have File Sharing enabled in System Preferences > Sharing, then when they are connected you should be able to see the other computer in a Finder window sidebar, or by going to the menu bar 'Go > Connect To Server...' and clicking browse. Or if you know the name of the computer, then just type it into that window instead of click browse.

Then drag and drop.

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Ok, so connect the two of them with any random ethernet cable, then do you mind posting some screen shots? I don't want to mess any of the original files as I do not have a back up:eek:

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Oh Yea i forgot to mention these songs are "within" itunes if that makes a difference in the process

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ethernet Cable
    [​IMG]

Ports on Macs

Enable File Sharing as already mentioned.
    [​IMG]

Use Finder to browse to the other (share) Mac.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Unless you hit the DELETE button in combination with the CMD button repeatedly and press OKAY on the following message again and again, you can't delete items easily.

Music is stored under Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / iTunes / iTunes Music.

Further reading on "Mac OS X sharing between two Macs"

6. Reapur macrumors regular

The songs are not "in iTunes" they are in a "Folder" on your hard drive and iTunes links to that folder. Any ethernet cable will work there is no need for a cross over cable since macs automatically change polarity on the ethernet port to make it crossover.

I mean if you have a wireless network at home for your internet access you could plug the two computers into the router and also do it that way. Macs will automatically see each other on the network, all you need is file sharing enabled and you can drag and drop the songs in the Finder like any other files.

To my recollection iTunes has a new feature called home sharing that will allow you to transfer music libraries over your network as well. Im not sure how well it works but you could try that too. I would rather do it the old school way and transfer it manually.

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Or you can enable home sharing and drag all the music from your old computer to your new one.