How can I turn of these darling little start up chimes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willie45, Aug 12, 2009.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I know this has been asked in the past but I wonder if any of you young chaps with your gung - ho attitude to mac problems have come up with a way of dealing with this infernal chappie!

Good grief, the missus might have thrown a brush at me earlier on this evening when it chimed twice afer I updated the software. She was sound asleep in bed bless her and I was only saved by her gracious sweet manner under intense provocation. ( I thought I have muted the fella! But out the b****r chimed large as life. Time for a stiff G&T I can tell you.

Anyway you mac coves must be damned smug when things don't go well for poor old newbie johnies like me so come on come on and get your fingers out for a spot of assistance.

Toodle pip

Willie45

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Make sure the Mac is muted before you reboot. Or connect some headphones.

3. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Onyx or cocktail, can't remember which one does it.

5. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

There is an update, Beta 2, available on the Startup Sound HP (link to ver 1 above), on the downloads page.
    I have no connection to that company just a grateful user for not having to suffer the loud startup sound if I forget to hit the mute key!
    Great free software! :cool:

7. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Well thank you so much chappies. My little lady is sound asleep once again and having tried the suggestions above, she once again had to show me her gentle side as the blessed chimes fairly clanged out a beezer! But I do appreciate your help with my problem.

Celitcpride I 'm sorry you hated my little tale but I was simply setting the scene dont y'know. Sorry to say you're solution was not up to the job. And Richard, nooooooooo nothing like that dear boy especially not when she was awakened so rudely!

Well thank you one and all for your informative responses but .................. the muted sound trick seems not to work so I thought time to explore the software freeboids as mentioned by those techie coves above though I was slightly nervy. Alas and alack to no avail. Twice again my chimes have awakened my beloved and the last time as I slid my hand engagingly towards her she coyly pulled away with a sad smile which seemed to suggest that chimes and the art of love do not go hand in hand!

Please can anyone help!

Oh I should have said I am using 10.5.8

W

Ps I still looooooove my macintosh even though he is a bit unruly on awakening

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

An alternative is don't shut down your mac, simply put it to sleep.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As annoying as the chimes are, they do serve a purpose - they're there to inform the user that the computer has passed all the startup checks and that the OS should be able to now load successfully.

10. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah well it seems I will have to :D and bear them. I do wish it wasn't so but it has no easy solution.

Thank you most kindly mac people :)

W

11. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

It is easy, just install that preference extension I linked to earlier then open it in system preferences and set to mute or the volume you want.

12. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it but for some reason it didn't work. I am off on holiday for a couple of weeks now but will try it once again on my return

W

13. germanix macrumors member

Create the following file and save it under:
    /etc/rc.shutdown.local

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

OSA=/usr/bin/osascript

echo OUTPUT_MUTED=`$OSA -e "output muted of (get volume settings)"`
    > /etc/volume.settings

$OSA -e "set volume with output muted"

This will set the volume at the system start to zero, and at the same time save the previously set value. Next you create another file and save it under:
    /etc/rc.local:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

OSA=/usr/bin/osascript

if [ -r /etc/volume.settings ]; then
    . /etc/volume.settings

# If the volume wasn't muted before shutting down, unmute it on
    # startup
    if [ $OUTPUT_MUTED = "false" ]; then
    $OSA -e "set volume without output muted"
    fi
    fi

This will reset the previously saved value.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I REALLY hate when people mention that.

Using that stupid system Apple has implemented, If I turn my MacBook on and it doesn't make a sound:

1) It's either muted
    2) It's broken

It's a totally useless diagnostic feature.

15. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

Yes I hate it

I agree I find it the most annoying thing on computers. I hacked/altered the startup sounds since sys 6 or 7. Duh! I know Its started. It gets real bad if your having problems and having to restart often. Its like having a cars horn honk after it starts.
    On a lighter side, heres a little humor about start up sounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You're missing a few obvious solutions:
    * Don't keep the computer in the bedroom
    * Don't do software updates while you're wife is sleeping

Good luck! :)

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You should try resetting the PRAM (boot up while you hold down Command, Option, R and P at the same time until the screen stays black), and tell me what your wife says ;)

(That was a joke, please don't try it, it'll make your Mac do the startup chime several times, the last of which will be rather loud because it resets your sound settings :p)