How can I upgrade firmware on ssd that is locked and won't boot os? Need help badly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ari Nova, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Ari Nova macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I have a early 2008 macbook with a 120gb intel 320 ssd, I recently got the 8mb bug and I found the proper firmware update but the problem is when I turn my laptop on, I get the flashing question mark and when I try to reinstall lion via USB drive it keeps saying its locked or there's not enough space, and to make matters worse the optical drive doesn't take anything in so I can't even boot through the DVD, now to my question, how can I update the firmware on this ssd if I can't access my comp? Can I burn the firmware Iso on a USB through a different comp then plug the ssd and usb in my macbook and boot it through that? Will it work if my ssd is locked? I just can't figure out how to update this thing without it being able to boot

I have a harddrive from a mbp but since I had a ssd on the macbook there's no metal hdd sled in my macbook so I have one coming on the way I got online, any info that you guys can give me I would really appreciate, I'm a writer and my macbook is the only thing I can write on, I don't care about saving the info on my ssd I just want to update it and start over, thanks a lot and lemme know if you need any more info

2. inscrewtable, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Well I cannot give you information on the intel ssd but I can tell you about my ocz vertex and maybe there is a similar solution for you.

regarding my ocz ssd I was able to download the ocz toolkit for mac as a dmg file which I was then able to "restore" using disk utility to an SD card (I could have used a usb thumbdrive too). I was then able to boot into the toolkit by restarting with the option key down and the tookit was available as a bootable drive, from where it is possible to upgrade the firmware.

Maybe intel have a similar solution?

[​IMG]