How can I use iPhoto library with new Photo Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by braeburn, Jul 26, 2015.

1. braeburn, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

braeburn macrumors member

Several years ago, I moved my iPhoto library to an external drive to save space on my iMac HDD...

I've installed Yosemite now and understand it has its own library file...

Wanted to know how can I have the new Photos App be linked to the iPhoto library file?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't. When you first use the new Photos app it will offer to convert your old iPhoto library to the new Photos library format. Once that is done you will have a new Photos library with all the old photos imported, and you will also still have the old iPhoto library. From then on Photos will use the new library.

3. braeburn thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the reply Weaselboy...

I declined to convert my old iPhoto library when initially started the Photos app as I wasn't sure if it would import and store them on the local drive rather than external as I don't have much space for that to occur...

Is there a way to start that process and still have it kept on the external drive? Do I have any options if not?

Thanks for the help...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You know, I really don't know if it will save the new library to the same folder (drive) as the old one is, or if it will try to save it locally. I guess you could let it start the import and watch to see where it is saving, then kill the import if it is not what you want.