Resolved How can I use my iPhone's wifi on computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h4mza, Aug 12, 2012.

1. h4mza, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

h4mza macrumors 6502

I want to use Internet on my computer from iPhone wifi and not 3G because I do not have data plan. My computers wireless adaptor broke and I cannot get Internet, so is it possible to use wifi on my computer from iPhone's wifi?

2. irDigital0l Guest

iPhone doesn't distribute wi-fi... it uses Wi-Fi from your home, local library, starbucks, etc.

Just use your home wi-fi.

If you do not have a data plan, you can't use 3G so I'm a little confused...

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Are you jailbroken? I unfortunately can't test right now, but I have used TetherMe to share 3G via a Sync Cable to my laptop. If I have 3G disabled it's definately conceivable that it with tether your wifi data in place of 3G.

It's obviously just a really unusual request. I'm assuming it's only a temporary solution.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not the question.
    The OP does NOT have a data plan.
    The wifi broke at home from what I can understand.
    So in other words no you cannot get internet at home to your iphone without wifi. Where would that signal come from? You cant plug in an ethernet wire to your iphone can you?
    Get a new wireless adapter for your computer.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Read the OP's post more carefully. He is essentially saying that he wants to use his iPhone as a wifi card for his computer which has a broken wifi card... I.e. like you can do with an Aiport Express.

In other words, my post has been the only relevant one so be helpful or shush.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Op states he does not have a data plan on the iPhone.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If your computer's wifi adaptor is broken, how do you plan on getting the data from your phone to your computer? Magic?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so?

This is what he is saying:
    1) He has wifi at home
    2) His computer's wifi card broke
    3) He is asking if he can share the iphone's wifi with the computer....ie treat the iphone as a usb wifi dongle (iphone picks up home network and sends to computer)

You can do this if jailbroken OP. Not sure if there are apps out there that allow this

USB

9. ZZ Bottom, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012

ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

It's one thing to misunderstand a post, but to go out of your way to disagree with someone that fully comprehends the situation is flat out a waste of everyone's time.

Home Internet service is NEVER referred to as a "data plan" unless it is provided via cellular towers. The OP clearly means that the computer used to connect to his/her home Internet via a wifi card built into computer. That card failed, and clearly the computer is not situated near the router/modem in order to use an Ethernet cable. Therefore they wish to use the iPhone as a "wifi dongle."

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Buy an ethernet cable and run it from the back of your wireless router to the back of your computer.

11. h4mza thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the confusion guys, i should've mentioned that im jail broken. Well anyways i solved my problem by downloading MyWi and tether the iPhone's wifi connection to the computer via USB cable. :)

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

excellent! id turn off 3G just to make absolute certain it isnt using mobile data.