How can I use my iPod to take the movies off my MacBook to my Win pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanops, Oct 3, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

can anyone help me here, we are talking about 40gb of movies... whenever connect my mac ipod to my win pc, it wants to format... what other options do i have? ethernet? airport?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Open itunes and select your ipod. Under preferences, if you scroll down you can set your ipod to be also used as a storage drive, and select how much of the ipod is to be used for playable music and for file storage. Once you do this, your ipod will be a removable drive as well; as for whether or not Windows will be able to identify it, I have no idea, but I assume it would.

EDIT: Other options, ethernet will work fine.

3. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

how would i go about doin this? what do i need to do on both ends?

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You need an ethernet cable and ethernet ports on both machines. If you don't know how to set up OSX for filesharing with a PC, search the Apple.com documents, they have a step-by-step set up tutorial. Then just open Network on your mac, select the machine you want to send to, log into it, and drag and drop!

By the way, ethernet is also pretty fast and can run in the background on either machine.

5. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

you could also just reformat your ipod in FAT32, and have it work with both OS X and windows so as that you can trasfer files in between the two...

but file transfering via eathernet would work nicely as said above, here is link to an easy to follow guide to do it....Link

6. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

using the ethernet metod, i am in the rocess of transferring 40gb from my mac to my pc in under 45 min!!!