How can I use my Verizon iPhone 5 in Cape Town, South Africa?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alleyooptroop, Jan 24, 2013.

1. alleyooptroop macrumors regular

Forgive the noob question. I have a trip planned to Cape Town and I was wondering if there was a way to use my Verizon iphone there without having to switch to an international plan. I remember reading somewhere that I could buy a prepaid SIM card and just pop it in when I got there. Is that true? Can I buy the SIM card online now so I have it ready to go? Are there any stores on Los Angeles that I might be able to buy from? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

im sure any cellphone store or kiosk in the airport will sell the cards. i would just wait until you get there and pick up a prepaid package deal that includes minutes and the card. im going to iceland in june so i already have an idea of which provider i want based on coverage and data prices. the things i read is that they have airport stores that sell them for tourists.

3. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Is available on the amazon co uk site. Will be a regular size sim, so good idea to cut it down before u go

4. marcoluciano macrumors newbie

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/southafrica.php

here you have an overview of the main operators and MVNOs , so you can buy a normal nanosim in every store in capetown. They also have specific prepaid plans for iPhone I guess

5. alleyooptroop thread starter macrumors regular