iPad How can I watch movies on my iPad on my smart TV

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SnowLeopard OSX, Nov 19, 2013.

1. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I have an iPad 4th gen and I also have a Samsung UN46ES6100FXZA 46" smart TV

Is there anything that I can buy in order to watch (mp4 and Xvid) movies that I have downloaded and stored on my iPad on my Samsung smart TV?

Will using wifi powered Apple TV Airplay work in my particular case? I'd like to know for certain before setting myself back $100.00

Thanks, guys.

2. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

Yes

Airplay via an Apple TV will work with any TV that has HDMI input. But:

There are important things to know about video format/sound/subtitles. if you just want the video to play and sound through the TV, nothing else to do.

But if you want 5.1 sound you need to know that it is encoded in the file correctly, and you need to output it from the optical out on the Apple TV, to your chosen sound system.

And: If you are playing a format that is natively supported by the ipad, airplay will be available. But: if you want to play something else (xvid) you will need a 3rd party video player app. Does that app support airplay? You need to check.

Or: transcode your xvids to a format that the ipad supports natively.

Hope that helps. There is plenty of advice in the apple tv forums.

Don't forget that the Apple TV offers a lot of other benefits too, beyond airplay.

3. SnowLeopard OSX thread starter macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Thanks so much for your answer.

I do have an application called "CineXPlayer" that allows me to watch Xvid formatted video files on my iPad. Will I be able to watch these videos through my Samsung Smart TV through the support of the application? Or will I need more hardware for that?

I just checked, and CineXPlayer does support Airplay

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In that case, you should be able to AirPlay videos from that app to AppleTV.

5. SixSlinger macrumors regular

SixSlinger

You can always just pick up a Lightning -> HDMI adapter. Works very well. Apple TV is probably the ideal option, but it'll save you $50 bucks.

6. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Haven't personally used it but I've heard great things about Chromecast and it's only $35.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring