how can music purchased on itunes NOT be able to be played on my iphone?????? GRRRRR.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by apecrazy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. apecrazy macrumors newbie

i am trying to put music on my iphone and i keep getting the error message that a certain number (about 50%) of the songs cant be put on my iphone because they cant be played on that device. how is this possible?
    i purchased these songs from itunes (granted it was years ago, but still legally purchased and all) and its very frustrating to end up with less than half of a playlist on my phone because of this.
    can anyone help me????
    thanks in advance!!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Were those songs bought with a different iTunes account that the one you are currently using in the iPhone?

Maybe try with a right click on them an select to convert to a format playable in the iPhone.

3. apecrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

no, they were bought with my account. i tried to convert them, but when i highlight them and click convert to aac, it says that protected files cant be converted. but when i look up the info, they are already in aac format.
    there is no option to convert them when i right click them, the "convert to iphone format" option is grayed out.

4. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

This is because they are DRM'ed. They are protected so you cannot convert them to anything. They stopped selling DRM'ed music a couple of years ago.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try this:

1. De-authorise your computer (Store > De-authorise This Computer).
    2. Try to play one of the songs.
    3. It'll ask for your password. Enter it.
    4. After the song starts playing, try synching with your iPhone again.

6. apecrazy thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i tried de-authorizing my account and it still didnt work. the song plays just fine on my mbp, shows up in finder, is labeled as purchased with my one (and only) apple store id, and still will not be put on my phone.
    i get the same message, and there are 30 other songs like this.
    i called tech support and he didnt know what to do to help, but i couldnt hold for someone else because i had to go to work so i will have to call back tomorrow.
    if they protected the song so well that i cant put it on my iphone, then whats the point of buying it? this song (and the other 30 which are the cause of the error message) have been successfully added to my ipod previously, so i dont understand what the problem is.
    will apple let me re-download them if its a problem with the way the digital rights thingy is written?

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

They will take care of it. May take some time but you will be able to use them in your iPhone. I think.
    They will do iTunes matching and that will be the ultimate solution, in case they are not solve it, with what you currently have in your computer.
    One thing to try is burning them in a CD, and then playing them on a CD player.
    Then try importing the songs back to iTunes from the CD and see what happens, just as a temporary solution.
    Have you also tried to stream the songs from your iPhone? Can you use the sharing feature in iTunes and play them from another apple device?
    Ask for compensation anyway, the unavailability to use the products you purchased is a major problem, and you paid for something that you are bit able to fully use, they will take care, I hope.

8. hallingmac macrumors newbie

result?

did you find a solution for this problem?
    i'm also having it!