How can someone murder someone?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TSE, Sep 28, 2014.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I honestly don't understand this.

There is a recent case of a student that goes to my University. It's presumed that her boyfriend killed her, left her body in a trunk, and fled the country. She's been found after 3 weeks.

I almost always just kind of ignore stories or don't feel empathy for these kind of stories due to desensitization, but I'm not sure why this one struck me so badly.

How the hell can anyone murder someone they know or even maybe care about?

Is there a psychological explanation? Are there just bad people in this world? What are your guys' opinions on this?

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Some questions in life have no easy answer. Reasonable, sensible people are not wired to understand the acts of cruel, evil people. We live separate lives from them.

3. satcomer, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I remember a jerk was saying to me one time how if he couldn't have his wife no one will. I was taken by surprise at his statement and I almost blew my top! I told him that if he ever did that I would take that statement straight to police. Plus I ended the conversation telling him he was luckiest husband on the Earth since she was alive, that's coming from a widower! He shut right up after that and is still married and since had kids that have grown and gone to start their lives.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Some people are just ****ing evil, period.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Well occasionally you get someone who is just a bit evil, but even then thats often down to background, or mental instability.

Sometimes stuff just happens in the heat of the moment.

Not all murderers are all "just pure ****ing evil"

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe the term "evil" is a simplified, often a religious, black and white (not a racial ref) term used by many to wrap a spectrum of calculated wrong doing into a single label without meaningful analysis. Personally I believe our emotions can get the better of many humans and mental illness should be a consideration.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any one of us could commit murder. It is not hard to think up a situation where normal constraints would be abandoned.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a lot of the time killing is done on the spur of the moment. so you can't call them evil because it was not a planned deed. There is no simple answer of course.

11. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Really? I can't think of one... Besides maybe being on an island stranded with only enough food for one person. Can you think of any?

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@TSE: It sounds to me like the man didn't want to lose a possession, so he selfishly destroyed her, rather like a toddler having a tantrum. Perhaps if he thought of his girlfriend's welfare as much as his own....

In any case, I understand your distress. Occasionally you hear stories in the UK in which an estranged husband (or rarely, wife) comes back to the family home and wipes everybody out (fire, knives, occasionally guns), including the children. I have kids and just cannot imagine the pure evil selfishness in such an act.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think they're talking about first-degree, pre-meditated murder.

But I agree with you that saying it's just done by evil people who are nothing like "us" is pretty naive.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think most normal people, in the cool, calm light of day, would find the idea of deliberately murdering another human being abhorrent, even unimaginable.

And yet I think many of those very same people might find themselves surprised at what they could do given the right (or, more precisely) wrong set of circumstances.

I remember reading an observation on how people could do things that, in retrospect, seem like very bad acts. Everything from participating in the Holocaust to (by comparison lightweight) acts such as the bullying and hazing that many people face:

The people who do those things, think they are doing good.

Yes: The Nazi solders who shot innocent women and children. The ISIS militants who behead captives. The Cartel sicarios who murder prostitutes and lookout boys. And the jerks like (former Miami Dolphin) Richie Incognito - they all think that their actions are "for the good of the team."

So yes: On a fundamental level most of us cannot imagine committing murder. But it is certainly possible that people with poorly, or incorrectly, developed senses of self and of morality, can sometimes easily be persuaded by circumstance and self-deception to commit quite terrible crimes.

16. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I have, yes. But not sure if I would ever hurt anyone from it, maybe if I was heavily, heavily intoxicated and lost control.

Do you think reasonable, perfectly "good" people murder from losing control?

17. Liberty. macrumors 6502

If someone offered me 35.000.000.000€/$ for killing someone and it would be classified ... I would do it.

Now you could say: "But what if someone did this to your family".

I couldn't stop such a person, could I?