How can Windows users say Macs are overpriced?. Have you seen Win 7 prices?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glossywhite, Oct 21, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

It baffles me how PC & Windows users can rant and rave about how Apple is such a ripoff, when they paid out many £100's for Vista... which badly flopped, and now Windows 7 comes out tomorrow, yet again Microsoft seem adamant to fleece the masses, by offering the same stupid scheme of "Home edition", "Premium edition" etc, for over £100 (possibly a LOT more?).

It seems PeeCee users continue to buy Windows at these ridiculous prices, and yet in the next breath, bash Apple products for being over-priced and incompatible.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So... a fix for Vista is the right thing to do, and it has been done... but why are the many millions who suffer/ed Vista, being made to pay out AGAIN, for what Vista SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE??.

I don't get it - their products are blatent, if not subtle (sometimes) (bad) copies of Mac OS X implemented features, and yet they screw up daily, and they have the gall to call US stupid?.

This isn't a flame enticer - I am just baffled - do you know anyone about to invest in Windows 7?. Have you considered trying to show them the manifold benefits that Mac offers?.

Those who call fanboy, forget one thing - there is plenty to be a fan, OF.

{_EDIT_}

The "Ultimate" :)D) edition is £229!!

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39667236,00.htm

Sickeningly overpriced

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Usually the argument is the hardware is overpriced, not the software. But you cannot buy the hardware without the software. In fact most the time people agree that they pay a premium because of the design, but largely the OS.

Software has always been competitive:
    OSX vs. Windows
    iWork vs. Office

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Macs are over priced. Windows 7 is an OS. You cannot say Windows Machines aren't cheaper because Win 7 is more expensive. Win 7 will come pre-installed on machines soon enough at probably no additional cost. I think you're comparing software to hardware here.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I paid £30 for my copy of Windows 7. Snow Leopard costs £25.00.

OS X is so much cheaper...

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

EDU discount though right? Not everyone is a student, just an FYI. ;)
    I want Win 7, but I'm not about to pay out the ass for the edition I want. I am cheap.

6. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Wrong. I'm bringing to mind the price of... *£25* (or £7.95) for Snow Leopard. Where is the logic?.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple makes it margin on hardware and Microsoft makes it on guess what? Software! :eek:

I got Home Premium 64-bit that I can install on any x64 computer on Earth for US$99. (Or any VM on a x86 machine with VT)

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Snow Leopard at £25 is an upgrade version. If you want the full version, it costs £129 as part of the "Mac Box Set".

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Shh...everyone ignores the upgrade EULA. :p

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

Seriously dude, you're confusing the comparison between OS and hardware.

Most people are complaining about the initial cost of getting a Mac and PC. Macs always have a high initial cost but the ROI cost for owning both a Mac and PC is almost similar over time and Mac in the end being cheaper as most people don't throw out Macs as often as people do with PCs (exception is upgrading same hardware).

I usually spent 800$ on a new PC, $200-400 per year upgrading stuff in PC and it's enough for 3 years for me (initial 800$, 1600$ total). I usually can't sell the old PCs, almost nobody wants it. I paid 1800$ for 15" MBP and it lasted me 2 years before I sold it for 1300$, using it as an additional funding for 17" MBP that's cost me 2500$. It could have last another 2 years easy with no additional cost, i only upgraded to 17" cuz i needed the additional estate for my work and school as it became the primary computer for me. Now 5 years with same Mac is only 1800$ with 1600$ for PC at 3 years (it wouldn't even survive longer for me). Honestly, not a major cost difference over time, just the initial cost.

11. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard for my Macbook cost me about 8€, whereas I can get every version of Windows, each in 32 and 64 bit, bilingual for not a single cent.
    And no, it's not illegal. They come directly from Microsoft.

Microsoft 1, Apple 0.

Anyway, Windows just sucks! Vista and 7 are not usable at all. Their usability concept is a nightmare. Changing the IP address in Win7 took me about 15 minutes, because I got lost in endless menus.

That makes it a nice draw. 1:1.

You get what you pay, so it's a pleasure for me to pay the few dibs to get a proper OS. ;)

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Those prices are ridiculous! TCO is quite high on Windows as well.

13. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Sure, Macs cost more than most comparable Windows laptops, but do companies like Dell and HP make their laptops out of solid aluminum, laser-carved? Nope. Flimsy plastic. Do they have glass screens? Nope. Do they have 7-8 hour batteries? Nope.

When I decided to make the switch, I not only looked at the OS but at the build quality of the computer. I love the feel of the aluminum.

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

Dell do make solid aluminum laptops now, the Adamo. Of course they are same or more expensive than the Macbook Pros.

Sorry the first round is moot. People buying laptops with Windows is only licensed for that copy, they can't switch versions for free (ok downgrade to XP is only limited time and not everybody is permitted). Switching 32bit/64 is moot as well since Snow Leopard 32/64bit is on same disc and can be switched on the fly without requiring a full install like Windows. Also you can't get any language either, most people are buying Home Premium which doesn't allow MUI either for free, they are licensed for English only, you can't choose your own language. I had to try to get a Ukrainian copy, it's hard to find without an MSDN account, I have to actually contact Dell's Ukraine office just for that. In the end i found somebody with MSDN to send me an OEM copy so that I can copy the activation files from the English install and install it on the Ukraine copy which luckily works for me.

15. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

So very true - and yet they say "Oh but MacBooks are plasticcccc"... Correct, BUT they're precision polycarbonate; slightly different to crack-prone, gaudy spray painted ABS! :D

That is a Dell that SOOOO wants to be a MacBook, but isn't.

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Also a lot of OEM copies of Vista are eligible for free windows 7 upgrades
    Free is cheaper than the ~30 dollars that it costs for a snow peopard upgrade.:rolleyes:

Your comparison is pretty terrible.

Also, you say windows 7 is what vista should have been? That makes no sense. That is like saying Windows 7 should have been windows 3.1. Or snow leopard should have been what Leopard was.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You've never had your upper case replaced have you? :confused:

18. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Yes, they cost even more than 13" Pros, with worse specs.

19. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Your reply is pretty uninformed, also. Windows 7 IS blatently what Vista wanted to be, but wasn't. Microsoft want to forget about Vista, because Win 7 is everything that Vista failed to be. That is a fact. Would you care to go into detail as to how it confuses you?. It is really simple - Windows 7 is Vista++ (or you could forget the "++", as -1 [Vista] plus +1 [Win7] = 0).

I get the feeling you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, but just decided to nit-pick. :D

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't get it.

Did you start the thread to get everyone to pat you on the back for your "observations" or something else? :confused:

21. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Freedom of speech, friend. I don't need a "reason".

22. MikhailT macrumors 601

What are you talking about, the free upgrade only applies for new machines. Same for Snow Leopard, from the date it was announced, any machines bought after that are eligible for free copies of Snow Leopard but with a 10$ charge for shipping. Many of the free upgrade discs from MS will be charged shipping and handling fee as well. It will vary between manufacturers from free to any type of fee they want to charge.

23. MikhailT macrumors 601

Freedom of speech only applies against the government, not to private places like MacRumors. You don't have any rights here.

24. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I really wasn't serious about that, cause all the price discussions about Apple/Microsoft is just superfluous.

Personally I have no idea about what Microsoft charges for their operating systems and to be honest with you, I don't care.

My 'prices' for the Windows systems referred to Microsoft's MSAA page, which is actually pretty nice for computing students.
    Unfortunately Apple doesn't have such an offer, without subscribing for 99$.

25. TSE macrumors 68030

I advise everyone to check out the HP DM3, it has more power than most people in this world need, it has plenty of battery life, and is made of full aluminum. Oh yeah, and it costs $549.