How can you do an iPhone 5 color swap? Can the phone be opened? How many days? etc...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I ordered a black iPhone 5 that is coming this Friday but I see reports of scuffing which I want NO PART OF.

I've heard some people talk about switching colors. Is this possible? If so how do you do it? At the Apple store or AT&T?

Can the package be opened at all? How many days after I receive the phone can I still do this?

Thanks for your help :)

2. DMHmac macrumors member

Not thought about getting a case instead?

A little bit more money with none of the stress.

3. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

A case wouldn't help since debris still gets between the case and the phone and scratches it to hell. See: iPhone bumper horror stories.

Also I hate cases. Feels so unnatural, not to mention ripoff prices! :(

4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

With Apple you have a 30day hassle free return. With carriers I think it's 14 days. This means, for me, I can take the chance of waiting in a line tomorrow after I get mine to exchange it or wait several days when stock is gone and see if they make me return all together due to no stock or give me a raincheck on a white phone, which may exceed my 30 days. I called Apple store here and was told I could not bypass the line to exchange for a white one.

5. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if I ordered through ATT, can I take it to Apple to do the exchange by the 29th day?

Or since I ordered through ATT then I HAVE to exchange through them (only 14 days). Also if I go through ATT to exchange do I still have the same hassle free exchange? Or if I open the box and use the iPhone 5 can I no longer exchange/return it?

Thank you for the information Gix, love the avatar :)

6. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

You have to go through ATT. The advantage you may have over me is there are 1000 ATT stores in my city and only two apple stores, so you may have a good chance of being able to exchange tomorrow. My phone comes by 1030, so as soon as it's dropped off, I'm heading right to apple store and line check.

Oh and thanks!

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How about this idea....

1) Wait to get the phone

2) Use it

3) If it scuffs (omg world ending)

4) return it

Why worry about something that you dont even have, and has not occurred to YOU yet? Jeez, package isn't even on a truck yet, and your worried about scuffs. Just take care of the thing, if you scuff it and life become miserable, you have 30 days to return it no questions asked

8. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assume that if you have a bunch of scuff marks on the phone and try to exchange it for a brand new iPhone 5 that ATT would have a problem with that right?

Also I ordered through ATT... not Apple so I assume I don't get to return it to them 30 days no questions ask.

9. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

If you are exchanging the phone then it has to be done at the store you purchased the phone from. So if you bought your black phone from an ATT store and you decide you wanted white you would exchange it through ATT.
    Apple would't be able to help you in that situation.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Main reason I ordered through apple, even if I had to wait weeks for it. (luckily, delivery got bumped up.)

11. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I used an apple bumper on my iPhone 4 for a year and had zero scratches

12. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good for you!

Most people weren't so lucky...

13. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

14. yoshimeow macrumors member

15. mateo124 macrumors regular

Don't you have to pay if you open the phone and decide you don't want it? What if I bring in the phone with a few scuffs and complain that they were from putting the case on? Its not like they could restock it anyway

16. yoshimeow macrumors member

well granted you don't completely FUBAR the phone up they are generally pretty good with exchanges. It's part of their policy.. it's okay if you open it up and use it. That's what the 35 dollar is for. They most likely take ur phone and clean it up and repackage it as a refurb.

Your only problem is AT&T doesn't get a lot of stock .. so exchanging may be difficult.

17. Appelboy macrumors newbie

Iphone 5 if has damage

If UR iphone 5 gets damage I suggest buying a anti theft and repair on your data plan with AT&T,verizon sprint etc. this will replace UR iphone 5 when it is damaged or stolen at a fraction of a cost