Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audiosond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
Any other way?
Can you country unlock a phone even if you are living in a foreign country?

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
- Put other sim card and check
- Use some tools like iTools to check carrier, then search about carrier is Locked or not.
- Use unlock check site data can be accurate 100% about iPhone 4 4s and older.

cropped-2-1024x580.png

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
- Put other sim card and check
- Use some tools like iTools to check carrier, then search about carrier is Locked or not.
- Use unlock check site data can be accurate 100% about iPhone 4 4s and older.

cropped-2-1024x580.png

I cannot recommend IMEIdata.net unless you are checking 4S and older, as it provides "Initial Activation Policy" info as "Next Tether Policy" which can be and is 100% incorrect when checking a lock/unlock status of a device or even confirming the actual network it is locked to.

I say this because some phones have the policy like samples below and showing "Initial" as "Next tether" is incorrect and could lead to someone wasting so much of their money on a device that isn't what they expected it to be:

Initial Activation Policy Description: 52 - US GSM Default Policy
Next Tether Policy Details: 147 - US AT&T Reseller

Initial Activation Policy Description: 57 - Australia & NZ Service
Next Tether Policy Details: 215 - Saudi ArabiaEtisalat Unlock Policy

Initial Activation Policy Description: 52 - US GSM Default Policy (Most people assume this means its AT&T which it has been in majority of cases in the past)
Next Tether Policy Details: 2136 - US T-Mobile

All in all, do not rely on any "Free" website to provide you with accurate information, best are the two options:

1) Call Apple and see if they are willing to provide you with the carrier info for the IMEI of the device your interested in

2) Pay for a service from sellers like Swiftunlocks, Samunlocks or eBay, where ever you find a good price.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I cannot recommend IMEIdata.net unless you are checking 4S and older, as it provides "Initial Activation Policy" info as "Next Tether Policy" which can be and is 100% incorrect when checking a lock/unlock status of a device or even confirming the actual network it is locked to.

I say this because some phones have the policy like samples below and showing "Initial" as "Next tether" is incorrect and could lead to someone wasting so much of their money on a device that isn't what they expected it to be:

Initial Activation Policy Description: 52 - US GSM Default Policy
Next Tether Policy Details: 147 - US AT&T Reseller

Initial Activation Policy Description: 57 - Australia & NZ Service
Next Tether Policy Details: 215 - Saudi ArabiaEtisalat Unlock Policy

Initial Activation Policy Description: 52 - US GSM Default Policy (Most people assume this means its AT&T which it has been in majority of cases in the past)
Next Tether Policy Details: 2136 - US T-Mobile

All in all, do not rely on any "Free" website to provide you with accurate information, best are the two options:

1) Call Apple and see if they are willing to provide you with the carrier info for the IMEI of the device your interested in

2) Pay for a service from sellers like Swiftunlocks, Samunlocks or eBay, where ever you find a good price.

If you call Apple they will tell you if you're iPhone is unlocked or not.

Reactions: determined09
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.