How careful are you at handling your MBA? It's more fun throwing it around.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VMMan, Jul 30, 2011.

1. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I really like my 11" MBA for its mobility. I'm bringing it out with me during times I would never want to bring my MBP.

Although in the beginning I was really careful not to bump it against anything and carried it carefully in a padded bag, I realize that this behavior gets old really quickly if you're always bringing the MBA.

The best thing I did for myself and enjoyment of the MBA was to just carry it around like my iPhone and iPad in that I stopped treating it like a fragile conventional laptop.

I do have it in an awesome Speck plastic shell to keep it looking nice, but now I literally throw it into a regular bag or just carry it like a book and plop it down wherever I go.

Am I right in thinking the MBA is pretty tough, like an iPad?

2. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

now, all mac, ipad, ipod, iphone use the same material. so they are very very rigid. as you said, it's ok to throw. I don't care about little scratches or bump on my MBP 15 inch anymore because it seems to be intact even I have used it like abusing. unlikely other companies laptop, Apple laptop has proved how strong, reliable it is. I really like it.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Ever since I dropped a glass of wine on my 2010, I've been more careful. I don't expect Apple to give me any more free repairs. :)

That said, for a notebook, the MacBook Air is pretty durable. My Rev B had a slight crease in the case from being dropped onto a hardwood floor, but otherwise worked well for 2 years until I sold it and purchased the Rev D last year. The Rev D and Rev E are even more solidly built.

I carry it around in a neoprene sleeve. That lets me put it in the document pocket of my Windows notebook case, or in my suitcase, or even in a small briefcase. Just keep it away from liquids and it should have a nice long life for you.

4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I handle paper back books more gently than I have seen some people handle MBP's, and MBA's. It makes me cringe when I see someone tossing a $1600.00 peice of equipment around like a rag doll. I guess they have it like that. I get agitated when someone bumps the table when my machines on. I'm probably really annoying to be around with my MBP.:D

5. VMMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never thought about how others may be bothered by how I handle my MBA! I guess it's how I feel whenever I see some parent losing it and spanking their kid in public. I look at them ticked off and stare at them like a hawk to see if they're any signs of child abuse or something along that line.

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

There are no moving parts, so yes, it's like an iPad.

It's also more expensive than most any notebook on the market, so don't be stupid with how you handle it. It's not a Toughbook.:rolleyes:

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

I do treat my Macbook Air like a king. But I don't lose sleep over a scratch, a dent, or two, or more... I care more about how clear the screen looks, how the device is functioning, and how long the battery lasts.

8. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I always get, and have installed by zagg, a full body invisible shield on my MacBooks, minus the trackpad of course.

It's the optimal solution. Good grippy surface, not ice cold (wrist rest) in the winter, and scratch proof.

9. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

In contrast, this is my first mac product (2011 MBA 13") and I treat it the same! I went with Wrapsol instead of Zagg on this particular Apple item, but they are basically the same with a different texture :)

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

Well, I prefer to go by what Apple has intended for their device: bare naked, or completely without any additional form of protection.

That way everything would function as Apple has intended for them to be. I have learned my lesson from the time my Macbook Pro almost overheated because the case I was using didn't let the aluminum body dissipate heat as fast as it could originally.

11. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

12. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Have owned over 5 aluminum macs. Every one covered by an Invisible Shield.

Never has one overheated.

/urban legend about "heat dissipation" If it's stuffed into a case while running, well, then you are on your own. Never a good idea anyway.

Sorry. Skinning and overheating scary posts are simply not true. Stay off the internet if you are stressed about it. :)

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

So is a Ferrari if you want to be pedantic - tell me you wouldn't be more careful driving that.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't baby mine but on the other hand, I don't throw it around either.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Trouble Is

We all buy our Apple stuff because a) it works great and B0 it looks great too.

Then (and I am guilty as charged) cover up the Bling factor to protect our stuff from scratches etc. Gave an old Symbian phone away to a mate in need yesterday ( a Nokia press music) which I never covered, it rattled around in my pocket but there wasn't a mark on it.

My iPhone goes ou with the full Terrapin rig on it :) :) if you looked at the covering you probably wouldn't even know it was an iPhone.

I didn't buy the full rig for my iPad, but it is covered at all times, only coming out when indoors and sitting on it's stand.

I know Apple stuff holds it's value better than any other PC or Netbook laptop etc, but maybe we should show them off more?

16. VMMan, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

VMMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I was a kid, I remember people who would have their sofas covered in plastic. Remember that?

I swore that I would never be like that kind of person.

But now many years later, I find myself keeping my MBPs and MBA in those Speck plastic cases...

I do it to make them easier to sell later and to protect against damage that goes beyond cosmetic.

But at the same time, as I'm getting older, I realize that you gotta enjoy the things that you have because in the end, nothing material is that important..

So, I'm trying to make myself less like those people I remember as a kid with the plastic covered sofas, and more like the person who enjoys their material items while realizing that they're only material items...

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

VMman

I do remember people who kept those covers on furniture! And also car upholstery. I'm like you, want to retain premium condition for my stuff. Oh well, at least it's proudly on display at home indoors:D

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Seat covers (cloth, not plastic) on cloth car seats is always a good idea. Period.

19. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

Like a newborn! I just installed to it the Moshi Palmguard and it sleeps in a Hard Candy Bubble Sleeve :D.

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Forget about protection! I have a blue clear speck case and it looks amazing on my 11"!

21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Normally no

However, my MBA belongs to Amazon --- mixed up my order, and sent wrong computer, so I am using it until my 11" arrives on Monday. I feel ethically responsible to return it in the condition I received it in, therefore I am very careful how I use it, and I have not allowed anyone else to play with it for fear of scratches, dings, etc.

When my computer gets here, though, it will be used much like my MB and MBP, carefully but not pampered. I don't use cases, except for sleeves, because I love to see the sleek, attractively designed computers exactly as I think Apple intended: naked:D

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

I use an carbon skin on my computer to enhance unconcerned use. But it did occur to me that people buying all sorts of protection eat up the cash they would normally lose when selling a computer with minor cosmetic defects.

23. blowabs macrumors member

I dropped my MBA 13 the first night!!!....in the apple box from stomach high (I'm 6'1), on to a rugged over cement deck. Opened and nothing was wrong.
    I use a Radtech.us sleeve now and put it in their STM MBA bag, when i need to it in something. Or i use my Brenthaven laptop bag for travel.
    Have not used it as a frisbee yet..... :rolleyes:

24. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Maybe that's what the parents are thinking about the MBA abusers, lol. I'm not really bothered by it.

There have been a few cases that I've seen where people were treating their Mac's so bad I had to confiscate them. lol. jk.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I look after mine so that when it comes to resale / upgrade I can get the maximum back for a machine that looks as new.

It takes very little effort to look after my equipment, so why not make that effort. I work hard enough to pay for my equipment - if I didn't look after it I would feel I'm disrespecting myself and pi55ing money away.