How cheap did you buy apple stocks? My boss is one lucky dude.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Big D 51, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

He bought his first apple stock for $23 a share. Since then, it has split 3 times before going to the current prices. Must be nice eh? Not to mention he already makes extremely good money. All this resulting to him retiring at the age of 40.

Anyone else score big like this?

2. samiwas, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

samiwas macrumors 65816

Using some approximate calculations (because my two big stocks were gifts from my grandfather, and I have no idea when he bought them), I figured that if I had sold my GE and American Express stocks in October of 2000, paid my taxes, and used the proceeds to buy Apple stock, I would now be sitting on well over $5 million. Instead, I'm sitting on what is worth FAR less than it was in October of 2000, as in less than 1% of that between those two. If I had continued to invest in Apple, instead of other stuff i did, the total would be much higher. I only recently started paying attention to that stuff, but by then it was too late.

EDIT: Apple hit $23 for the first time around November of 1998 (according to Google Finance graph, and has split only twice since then). Something isn't adding up.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My shares have a cost basis of $11.24. I only wish I didn't sell 250 shares when it last split.

5. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I didnt even take the time to research it. I was thinking surely he wouldn't lie. Interesting.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I bought 1000 shares in 1985.... Yes I still hold most of them.

7. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Bought 2,000 shares at $100 a few years back. Am thinking now might be a good time to trim those holdings a bit.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Started investing into Apple when they were as low as $185 sometime in 2007-08. Now I just buy and sell them every now and then. Got lucky yesterday, since they were bought for ~$380 If i remember correctly

9. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Wow impressive. Good for you all.

It has been a gold mine for many. I was too young to have enough money back when it was low. Congratulations to those who are sitting good right now.

Now, what company is going to be the next gold mine? :p

10. Angels&Airwaves macrumors member

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm wondering what others' guesses are as to whether or not the stock will split again. Personally, I own a small 11 shares (I bought them one summer with the money I made waiting tables at $135 a share, so I can't complain with the profit I've made). Right now I don't have the money to buy anymore, but I'd love to if the price dropped a little bit. I know it's pure speculation, but please share your thoughts!

11. itcheroni, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Gold. ;)

I am also a fan of silver, agriculture, and oil. I don't make specific stock picks. I like dealing with options on etfs for trading and futures contracts for the really long positions.

I think what might be the biggest money maker over the next decade will be shorting US Treasuries. Many people believe gold is a bubble, but they look at US Treasuries yielding less than 2% and conclude the world is thirsting for the safety of our debt. I personally think US debt could be the biggest bubble in the history of the world. But what do I know? Timing the short on that one will be the trickiest part. I'm choosing to play it safe by being long real things rather than shorting the debt because I don't have to worry about the timing and my exposure will be the same.