How come no one talks about how hard it is to get a Wi-Fi signal outside your home?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MK25toLife, Jan 2, 2008.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I purchased my Touch a couple days ago and Jailbreaked it and everything. Everything works just fine in my apartment, but once I step outside I can’t get an unlocked/free signal anywhere! Mind you, I live in Manhattan and this is the case. I was planning on using my Touch as a communications device but if I can’t get Wi-Fi anywhere there’s no use for it. I do love the music player but I already have a 160GB for my music, I think I’m gonna have to return it.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Uh, its illegal to use someone elses WiFi signal without their permission, and if you wanted a communications device, you should have bought the iPhone...

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Of course, this is probably Apple's fault.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your unprotected wireless network is infringing on my property. :p

6. chriswheat macrumors regular

I seriously thought this was going to be a joke thread. Are you seriously asking why it is not possible for you to use a service that someone else is paying for and you're expecting to get for free? Sure you can walk in to a few establishments and use their free WI-FI (few being the key word) but even then, you really should be making a purchase in that establishment. As for using someone else's WI-FI, it is theft and is prosecutable.

7. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

if you remember my post on this before you bought the touch i warned you that most people lock their wifi and even in nyc you may not have many open signals.

this is so much more than just a wifi device after it is jail broken that i am finding it very useful.

if i relied on the wifi being on everywhere i would be sad like you are.

some coffee shops that i go to have it and some do not.

same with friends homes, some have it open and some have it locked but let me sign on with their permission.

8. MK25toLife thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just saying it's a shock b/c I live in Manhattan and I thought I would be able to pick up a signal from all of the cafe's and coffee shops in the city. So yes, I was expecting Wi-Fi everywhere in Manhattan, certainly not in the suburbs. My reasoning was b/c I have lived in a couple different apartment buildings throughout the city and never had a problem finding a signal (yes, I pay for my own but of course you can always see what signals are available).

If you look at my initial post below you'll see that I got two good positive answers about Wi-Fi being readily available.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=407349

QL2 - You're right the Touch is a very useful device once you Jailbreak it like I have, however, I was relying on Wi-Fi being readily available around the city and it's my fault I didn't do my research.

9. chriswheat macrumors regular

Well, your expectations were sorely mistaken. Had you previously tested the Wi-Fi in Manhattan? What were your reasons for expecting to be able to receive it everywhere? Did someone tell you that it would be? I've used my iPhone in Manhattan and rarely picked up an unlocked Wi-Fi network.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear you on this, in NYC I would expect to find unlocked WiFi's fairly often. And if someone hasn't put up security measures on their WiFi signal then who are you not to use it. I know I would.

At least now I know (about not too many signals in NYC).

11. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

i would think the opposite, the people in nyc are scared of everything being stolen and they would be the first to lock the wifi.

in the suburbs or in rural parts i would expect unlocked wifi more of the norm.

12. till macrumors member

We're not talking about hijacking someone's home WiFi, we're talking about free public networks.

Yes, they are fairly common in Manhattan. No, it's not as if the whole city is blanketed in free wireless (buy an iPhone if you need the internet everywhere), but really... Use Google if you seriously can't find them.

Here, About.com has a few dozen:
    http://manhattan.about.com/od/citylife1/a/freewifihotspot_2.htm

You haven't said which neighborhood(s) you frequent, so I can't give any personal recommendations.

http://auth.nycwireless.net/hotspots_map.php

http://www.downtownny.com/discover/wifi/

etc...

Again, I can't help but think you're standing on the street, expecting to get a signal everywhere.

13. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Well lets just say this to answer the question. How good is the touch's wifi signal reception strength as opposed to something like a macbook?

I seriously doubt it will be as good since the device itself is a lot smaller thus less area for an antenna. Maybe they were expecting wifi performance to be on par with a laptop.

14. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Either it is the way he worded it, or what he really means, but it did seem like he expected to hijack WiFi throughout the city.

But from what Ive experienced, the Touch has nearly as good reception as a laptop.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I know! I was out mountain climbing the other day and couldn't get any wi-fi. I was like, WTF Apple! :mad:

16. franzmueller macrumors regular

This sound funny to me ...

I live in the south of Spain which has the worst wifi network in europe ( besides of maybe the French alps at 3000 m high up in the mountains ) and i know at least 10 places with free wifi access , so when i need to get into internet on the go i know were to get it .

I took me a few afternoons to figure it out .... no big deal

Saludos

17. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Wait, that was you on Everest?!?

I was trying to email my friend, but I couldnt get Wifi either....

18. Antimatter macrumors regular

I stopped at a stop light once and I heard "what's up with it vanilla face" on my radio. I had a new email! The Wifi was from the KFC right next to me. So everytime I go by there I want it to be a red light so I can check my mail.

I get wifi really easily where I live, Columbus, Nebraska. I was just joking once at another stop light in my car and I said I was going to get on the internet and I got out my iPod and I actually had Wifi, and a full signal! I love my iPod.:cool:

19. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Well in NY they're rolling out the starbucks wifi thing soon. and theres starbucks everywhere.

20. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

hurray.png

21. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It makes more sense if you read the content of the link.

Note: The image is a link.

23. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I had read that link but ignored it the first go around, now I'm intrigued. How do I set that up with my router? I just don't quite get where you install the /etc/dhcpd.conf file and/or terminal commands. I am using a DD-WRT Linksys54G router. Any tips?

EDIT: No worries, I figured it out.

24. imbored macrumors member

Umm...this is kinda weird, something I discovered on my macbook while in my car. I picked up a signal from a google network near a mall, and all I needed to do to use it was log using my google account.

I really have no idea what it was, I didn't realize google was giving out free wifi in some places (maybe it wasn't and I just got my account information, but I believe it was legit)

Hopefully in the future free wifi will be available everywhere