How come the 38mm are shipping faster than the 42mm?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by supernet33, May 4, 2015.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

How come the 38mm are shipping faster than the 42mm?

2. flur macrumors 68000

No one knows. Maybe they had a problem with the production. Maybe they underestimated the demand. Apple's not telling.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I'm sure more people are opting for the 42mm over the 38mm. Which is why there's an abundant stock.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well, I think it is safe to say more men than women are ordering the apple watch. If that is true, then look at the threads on the forums. About 1/3 are ordering the 38mm and 2/3 the 42mm.

5. supernet33 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand how Apple was not prepared for this.

6. avalys macrumors 6502

It seems that they discovered fairly late, perhaps after they had already committed to the April 24 launch date, that there was a flaw with the Taptic engines produced by one of their two suppliers. So they had to discard, recycle or remanufacture a substantial number of Watches that had already been produced. Rather than push back the launch and cause everyone to get their Watch late, they decided to just launch on the date they had already promised, with the limited inventory they had.

7. Stokkes macrumors member

Supply and demand... supply and demand.

Hard to predict supply on a first generation product. Now that they have hard data on what people are buying, they're adjusting their production.

It really is literally impossible to predict. And from what I remember when I visited Apple a few years back on business, they don't conduct any user studies ahead of time that some other companies do that can sometimes yield this information.

Once this irons out, it'll be smooth sailing, most likely for the 2nd generation as well.

8. ricktat macrumors 65816

Do we know that there isn't a 38mm and 42mm taptic and the 42mm was the bad one

9. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

One would think they could have used that whole Favorites feature that they've been encouraging people to use on their website. Surely some sort of indication could have been used from that data to predict a trend one way or another.

Either that or it was just a cool way for us to just bookmark the ones we thought were cooler and it was never intended to get any sort of useful data.

10. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier