Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
OK, mine says it will arrive on the 18th, but I don't understand why Apple didn't start shipping it on the 12th? Is there some logistical reason for this?

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
They just love annoying their customers.

Chances are with the delayed shipping times, wackos like the ones on this forum will go out to the store and buy one with a defective screen in person anyways. They anticipate this and then the stock you are waiting to ship (with the non-defective second-generation screen) can safely be delivered to stores for normal people.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Huh? Throughly confused by your title and question. Title says "won't start shipping until the 20th". Message inside says "arrive on the 18th." What am I missing here?

Basic shipping logistics:

Customer orders
1- Item gets shipping label
2- Put on a shipping pallet
3- FedEx picks up pallet and puts on plane
4- FedEx waits for plane to fill up with pallets then flies to AK (customs check) then mainland U.S. (typically CA, IN, or TN)
5- Fedex separates pallets and puts packages on planes (or truck if already as destination city) for final destination city & delivery

Apple has to over estimate delivery time because their contract delivery time frame w/ FedEx for deliveries from China is one week after it picks up the pallet. So if it takes Apple 5-10 days for your iPad to roll off the assembly line it has to add another 5 days for delivery because it has to assume the longest time frame. But delivery companies like to delivery as fast as possible which is why most people get their iPad before the last promised date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.