how come the samsung galaxy s 2 is better than the iphone 4s even though its older

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad 3, Oct 17, 2011.

1. iPad 3 macrumors member

its got like 2x 1.2ghz and more ram and bigger screen and better camera and costs less why is this

2. saaketham macrumors member

S2 is more powerful

Hardware-wise, most of the top Android phones are more powerful with higher RAM, faster processors, etc. But, did you see the benchmark tests where they compared Javascript-engine, graphics, etc of iPhone 4s with Galaxy S2 and other Android phones? If not, please check it out.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

Once you read that, you'll realize two thing - (1) if the software is optimized for the hardware, you can get great performance even with lower hardware specs (2) faster processors usually means less battery life.

The S2 is a good phone, no doubt. And if you like Android, then it's one of the best out there - the screen's awesome. But, if you're more into iOS, then go for the iPhone. Ignore the specs on paper - the HTC Amaze 4g has even better specs than the S2, but in reviews, it is not as good as the S2. So, specs < real life performance and experience.

3. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

thank you i like your answer this helps me to understand

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Ya gotta love being swayed by numbers, not usability and performance.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Look at the benchmarks. Clock speed and screen size isn't everything. 4s trounces it in CPU and graphics.

The cameras are rated the same spec wise but the 4s produces better images and video in my opinion.

Battery life is better on the 4s as well.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

As others have said better specs are not everything, it's all about how it performs.

Bigger screen does not equal better phone. That may be you preference but you can't apply bigger is better as a rule.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

Also keep in mind no Android phone can use hardware graphics acceleration. The iPhone can, and has a dual core GPU. That dual core GPU augments the performance of the CPU. The end result is Android needs 2X the specs to get close to iPhone performance, with 1/3 the battery life.

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

The latest and greatest Android device will always be more "powerful" or rather, it will have a more impressive spec sheet. That is how they are marketed. And Android needs more raw power, anyway.

No matter what the specs are, the Android experience itself will be a downgrade for me as I know it would for many others here.

Next you'll want to know why I spent $1600 on a Macbook Air, when I could have gotten a Dell computer with faster processor and USB 3.0 support?

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Same reason an American car with more horsepower and better specs is manhandled in independent road tests by a foreign German car with less specs

Comes down to the engineering. Android you need a minimal 512mb ram to run that's minimal. Gaming isn't that great on android either.

And yes there is still a small lag even on the AT&T Samsung s2.

And I am both an android user and iOS. Have owned all the phones.

S2 is nice. However I don't know why they didn't put a qhd screen in it. The resolution even with the SAMOLED plus isn't as crisp. It's great for pics and video but texts appear grainy once you zoom in.

To each their own.

Really my main concerned with Samsung is their complete lack of or slow upgrade policies in the USA. They are at least 4-5 months behind in supporting their USA products or leave users high and dry even after 6-7 months (Samsung Vibrant getting no software updates).

So buy the S2 in the USA but be prepared to get android ice cream software sometime in the spring 2012 at least 5-6 months after google announces ice cream next week.

Samsung Vibrant finally got 2.2 7 months after its release and and never getting 2.3 update. Samsung Captivate/epic/fascinate getting 2.2 8 months late. And to date none of those phones have official gingerbread updates and it's been close to 10-11 months since gingerbread was released.

So buy the s2 in the USA and be happy with gingerbread because you won't see ice cream until for a long time.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

1. They flubbed up their scores once, I have very little faith in them.

2. Everyone knows Androids stock web browser only uses one of it's cores, use opera or dolphin and see what happens when it takes advantage of both. Try 1300-1600 on the browser test. IJS

http://www.bestsmartphone.com/2011/09/26/javascript-benchmarks/

12. saaketham macrumors member

That may change with the new Android version "Ice Cream Sandwich". I am an Apple fan, and yet, I was about to switch to an Android device. I researched Android devices, OS and Apps for several days. My main reason for wanting to switch was to move to T-Mobile with a Galaxy S2 or HTC Amaze 4g, get on the $50 unlimited everything plan and save a lot of money over an AT&T iPhone contract.

There are some kick-a$$ (specs-wise) Android handsets out there. But, even though the S2 screen was superb, I found it way too big for a phone. I have an iPad 2 which serves me well for travel and everything else. Also, the TouchWiz UI on Samsungs seemed a bit dull for my taste. I loved the HTC Amaze 4g - sleek-looking device, lots of hardware goodies, HTC's Sense UI seems like the best (to me) out of the main three. But, every review of the phone mentioned that battery life sucked. Also, I realized that not all models (even the then-latest ones) will ever get newer OS updates as the updates come from the manufacturers and not google. Fragmentation. :-( So, I reluctantly bought an iPhone 4s on the AT&T network again. I'd have loved to be on T-Mobile's, but .. oh well. With ICS, Google is expected to be set to better control updates and reduce fragmentation. But, Android, at this point, seems like the Linux of the mobile world - very powerful, very tweakable, but .. way too many flavors and heavily fragmented.

13. aneftp macrumors 601

Android browser is very fast especially on gingerbread. I will give you that. My Atrix loads web pages sometimes faster than my new 4S.

It depends on the web pages. Some that are optimize for iPhone /iOS like msnbc or CNN iOS devices (iPad 2/iPhone 4 s) load faster than my Atrix.

But my Atrix holds it own on regular web pages and sometimes loads faster than my 4s

14. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I switched back to my iPhone 4 from the Epic 4G Touch if that tells you anything......

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As others have said, you can't use CPU speed, etc to say which is the "best" phone: The best phone for anyone is the one that suits your needs the best.

I actually decided to get an SGS 2 rather than an iPhone 4s, but it was for a very specific reason not related to perceived performance: I wanted to be able to pick up my work e-mail via Exchange and before they'll let me do that, my employer requires admin rights over the phone (i.e. the ability to remote wipe, etc).

With an android phone I was able to install a 3rd party app that supports Exchange ActiveSync and keeps my work data completely separate from my personal data with a different PIN, etc. This means that if my employer invokes a remote wipe (as they will as a matter of course if I ever leave) then it only wipes the data synced using the mail app: With an iPhone, a remote wipe wipes the whole phone.

So, in these very specific circumstances, an SGS2 suited my needs more than an iPhone 4s, so I got one: It's all about choosing the device that suits your needs best, rather than just looking at spec sheets and getting the one with the biggest numbers!

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

17. doboy macrumors 68000

SGII has better specs on paper because it has to compete against other android makers more so than against Apple. Since they pretty much run same/similar underlying OS (Android x.xx), they can only compete with each other by adding crapware (Sense, Blur, etc) and better specs.

----------

I didn't know (since I don't have a dual-core android device). Who's fault is that for not using all the cores :rolleyes:

18. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

It's not better, because a phone is measured more than it's ability to load Angry Birds.

19. zachimal macrumors member

iOS is the better (preferred) experience for me. It is as smooth and fast as I need it to be (in fact the 4 was already, but the 4S makes it even better).

Android and iPhones aren't really seriously compared anymore because there are simply too many variables involved. It really comes down to preference or specific needs.

It's not easy, or maybe impossible, to quantify the experience differences between iOS and Android, but I, and the plurality of smart phone users, have chosen iOS.

20. neo1 macrumors newbie

Yeah had to be network lol. The Epic 4g Touch is one of the best phones I have ever owned but Sprints data speeds suck. If it weren't for Siri I may have skipped this one. Still waiting on the Prime. I really miss a word wrapping browser

21. doboy macrumors 68000

One thing I really like about Android browsers. At least there is Reader function on Safari, but doesn't work on all sites. :(

22. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

this guy is a troll look at his previous posts and threads just look at them this guy is a troll

23. lilo777 macrumors 603

Not in CPU. Only in graphics. SGSII has faster CPU.

24. neo1 macrumors newbie

Yes I know. They should make the reader function work on all sites. That would be Perfect

25. shadrap macrumors 6502

Dont feed the trolls. Ignore anyone that would be ignorant enough to thnk GS2 is better than iPhone 4s. It's not even better than iPhone 4.