How come there's no "all aluminum" color for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raggsokk, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Raggsokk macrumors member

Seriously, how incredible wouldn't that look?

The current white model without the two-toned back, where the whole phone would be machined out of a piece of aluminum similar to the iPhone 5 back-plate.

Basically the sturdy, scratch-proof timeless design that the macbook line enjoys... on the iPhone. The apple product that would benefit the most of a sturdy, scratch-proof design.

That would be a dream in regard to the iPhone's design for me, and would most likely become a highly - if not the - most popular choice in color for customers.

Imagine.

Posting this because I'm not too happy about the scuff issue the current designs are likely to see...

*Antenna not accounted for in this dream*

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Obviously.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's because we live in reality with physics and other sciences. Not dreams where large breasted women walk around giving out iPhones and Macbooks that never need recharging.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My glass iPhone 4 didn't really get scratched so I dunno about the "scuff issues" you're talking about?

All aluminum would look nice, but again, antenna issues like you said. If you want an aluminum brick and not a functioning smartphone...

5. Castle87 macrumors regular

That would be too hot. People would be rioting in the streets.

Damn antenna

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think Apple would of course love to do a complete metal unibody iPhone. It's the direction they've gone with the iPads and iPod touch.

The realities of building a device that packs so many wireless radios into such a small space makes that not feasible right now.

That's most likely why Apple in that Liquidmetal alloy though, because it has the potential to provide many of the advantages of a metal case without blocking radio signals.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple must value black & white above all. It may be as simple as that. It may be a case of establishing a tradition like keeping the same style three years in a row. One quick glance & the average person on the street knows it's an iPhone.

8. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

A few of the reviews/hands-on's out at the moment has reported that there indeed might be an issue on the aluminum on the black version, as it is well, black, and the aluminum beneath the black is indeed silver. How much of a problem this will be is too soon to say, but I do not like the idea.

And sorry to say, but I consider the white model a bit feminine.

(although you probably could question my masculinity as I'm indeed here whining about a phone I've yet too even see in real life getting a few scratches.)

9. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

You dont want a alluminum phone,they will rust like the macbook pro's do.

10. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

You must have dangerously high levels of oxygen where you live ;)

11. Castle87 macrumors regular

Thread title made me think nice, happy thoughts. Then reality set in, and now the above quote?

This is thread is a buzzkill knowing none of these things exist. Thanks guys

----------

What is feminine about white? It's a neutral color. Men and women alike wear white t-shirts, shorts, socks, sneakers, etc. Why is a white phone taboo?

I can understand yellow, pink, purple, etc. But white? Come on now.

That idea needs to die already.

12. txflyfish macrumors member

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

What makes you think that LiquidMetal isn't radio opaque?

14. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

[/QUOTE]
    What is feminine about white? It's a neutral color. Men and women alike wear white t-shirts, shorts, socks, sneakers, etc. Why is a white phone taboo?

I can understand yellow, pink, purple, etc. But white? Come on now.

That idea needs to die already.[/QUOTE]

It probably isn't. But I live in a small place where everyone knows everyone, where the boys get the black one, and the girls get the white one. Actually, I believe that a white iPhone here would equal tight pants or a (younger) Justin Bieber haircut.

But I'm well aware that the white iPhone generally isn't thought of as any less of a phone than the black.

15. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

Ive had about 3 or 4(lost count) macbook pros and they have never rusted :confused:

16. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

Aluminum can't rust :) It can corrode, but not rust.

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Aluminum oxidizes.

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I had read that certain formulas were at least partly radio transparent. It may not be enough to allow a full metal case with no windows.

The biggest advantage to the Liquidmetal for Apple is that it would make the process of building an all metal case much simpler. Currently they have to machine aluminum down to the final shape they want. As I understand it Liquidmetal parts can be made in a process similar to injection molding plastic.

19. animatedude macrumors 65816

Yes i've been saying this for years, all-aluminum iPhone would be just...PERFECT.

20. reputationZed macrumors 65816

One issue I can think of with the all aluminum design is what color do you make the glass antena covers on the top and bottom of the phone?

21. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

What about an "all aluminum" color, but with a stainless steel band antenna as was introduced in the iPhone 4? no need for two-toned backs. With some "Ivy-magic" on a design like this one, it might have turned out to be rather stunning.

22. GA Support macrumors member

[​IMG]

This is what it WOULD look like.... I am on the same boat I wish it was all aluminum.... :(

23. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

lovely :) Though I'd like the front in aluminum too!

Would open for some interesting home button designs as well, to go along with the natural aluminum surroundings.

24. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Jeebus tap dancing christ, that is EXACTLY the design that I want!!! No wonder i'm having hard time choosing the color on current iphone.

25. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

Btw, where are those photos from? That design outperforms the actual one in my eyes..!