How come, when I am using both my MBP and external monitor, the mouse wont move over?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oxband, Aug 15, 2011.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I am connecting an external monitor to my computer and I am using both my MBP screen and the external monitor. I sometimes have a problem shifting the mouse over. It gets "stuck" on the MBP screen and hits the side but wont shift over. I have to slide the mouse a few times until it finally crosses over into the other screen.

Any idea?

2. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

check your Display prefs

Hi
    If you check your display preferences, you will see a representation of your two monitors (the one in your MBP and the external). Make sure they line up approximately replicating your physical layout. If you move the mouse pointer to the border between monitors and there is somewhere to go (i.e. to the next monitor) it will move seamlessly. If however, it is not in an area where the system knows that there is a monitor to move to, the pointer will stick on the side of the monitor that you are currently on.

Good luck

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

That said, one screen in that menu is larger than the other, so I cant line them up fully so that it makes no difference where i try to cross my mouse over. Why is that? Shouldn't there be some setting where you just have them fully aligned?