How come when you take photos off iPhone they are sideways?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm taking some pics off my iPhone 4S and they are all sideways, what can I do to get them the right way up??? I tried using Windows Live Photo to adjust them but I kept getting an error message saying I couldn't change the photo because the file was not recognized. Any help would be great!!!

Thank you in advance!!!

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

How are you taking the pics? Making sure you're holding the phone right would probably be the first solution.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

The phone was held vertical, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Anyone else have any ideas???

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Check the EXIF data on the photo. Open it in Preview and go to Tools > Show Inspector. Go to the Info tab.

Sometimes you can take photos you think are in portrait, but the phone records the "incorrect" position.

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

The you read the OP? He is using Windows. Oh... and I have seen this behavior in Windows on my buddy's computer. Opening the camera roll in Windows Explorer shows the pics sideways... FROM THE ORIENTATION YOU TOOK THEM.

Best solution?

Get a Mac. Use iPhoto. ;)

Secondary solution...
    Copy the pics over to a folder on your computer's hard drive. Then highlight all of the photo files you wish to fix and right click them. Choose "Rotate clockwise" or "Rotate counter clockwise"... depending on what you need them to do.

6. CrzyIcE macrumors member

same thing happens to me,

if I take it sideways (on my iphone) and open it through email, it comes up as upside down.
    If I take it normally, it comes out as sideways in my computer.

Same thing happens with videos.

Easiest way that I adjust them is I open in the "Windows Photo Viewer" and rotate them myself.

Negative thing is I can't do it with my videos!

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Tell Microsoft to start respecting the standard EXIF info that signals the correct orientation. Just another ****** byproduct of Windows photo tools.

I'm sure there are some Windows proms that will properly respect them though.

8. sedril macrumors member

I was having this issue, then I realized the home button has to be on the right side when taking pic/video in landscape, and of course on the bottom when in portrait.... With the video that was upside down, I had to use quicktime on my mac and export it, once it was exported, my windows pc corrected the position...

So from now on, I make sure I'm holding the phone correctly.... I don't remember having this issue on my 3gs... odd

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

PS Express is free on App Store.

You could always use that to rotate your photos before you move them.

My main use for PS Express is rotating photos that people have sent me.

10. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

not sure if this is what the OP is talking about, but I have noticed that even when i've taken a photo in landscape mode (volume buttons at the bottom), when viewing it on the iphone it has saved it as portrait.

This doesn't happen all the time though.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

iOS5 has a built in rotator.

12. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

That wont fix the problem as they look fine while viewing on your device.

Its when they are exported to a Windows folder is when the are upside down or sideways.

Ive always had this issue with all my iphones but I just always corrected it myself which is a pain in the butt.