How confident are you of the upcoming push notification servce?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nykwil, Jul 31, 2008.

?

How confident are you of the upcoming Push-Notification service?

1. Very Confident

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Mobile Me Confident

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

With issues around getting mobile me to work properly how do you think the upcoming push notification service to let you quasi run apps in the background will work?

Does anyone get the feeling the surge in demand will make apple's servers grind to a stand still?

I personally think Apple might be in for a ton of issues if they don't have the hardware to match the demand.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Much less likely. They'll ramp it up. Besides, it's not every app on every phone actually has this feature implemented or even planned and developed. It'll be much more smooth a switch on.

I'd imagine the servers used by Apple for this could take it, and they could buy in more if needed.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There's a big difference in migrating stuff from a legacy system to a new system and creating an entire new system with no legacy apps or data to worry about.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Looks like most of the people went with the mobileme answer, as did I.

With the recent problems, buggy itunes, buggy 2.0 firmware, buggy mobileme, I have no doubt in my mind that this will be buggy as well. We will have a whole slew of threads describing problems they are having with apps not notifying them with whatever is supposed to be pushed by it.

I feel the number one complain will most likely arise from AIM not pushing updates when people send you messages.