How deep are the blacks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Obviously nobody here can say for certain. But based on hands on videos/images, what do you guys think about how deep the blacks are?

I'm leaning towards white, but it also kinda looks like the blacks will be deep enough to totally blend into the bezel in most lighting situations. And if that's the case, I think black is the way to go

2. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I think you should understand that the black thats on the screen is still on a screen. Regardless of whether or not the entire screen is being used (i.e. letterbox) the entire screen has to be lit up in order for you to get a picture at all. So what you get is an illuminated black. With that said, I don't think it will appear to blend in with the edges/bezel like what you think it will. Unless the screen itself has some sort of tinting on it to help darken the illuminated darks, then you'll be able to tell where the screen starts and stops. A solution for you may be to look into Bodyguardz privacy screen protector to see if it also helps darken the screen to achieve the blending effect you're looking for.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

4. Love Juice macrumors regular

5. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

I'm not really all that concerned with it, I just don't want to miss out on the blending if it is present by buying the white. You make a good point though. Chances are what we're seeing is a product of the color ranges of the cameras used

6. spiralynth macrumors regular

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

What you did there.. I see it..

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    That's pretty deep for the blacks:D

9. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Are you referring to just the iPhone 5 or all display's?

Since the iPhone's screen is a LCD (LED Backlit, like all other "LED" screens out there) there will be illumination on black. As I HIGHLY doubt it is a full array /w local dimming (something you will only find on high end "LED" TV's, and only done right on even higher end ones:), it probably will not have great black levels.

I can nearly promise that the black will not blend into the bezel in dark viewing conditions (like in your room with the lights off). And with that being said, last time I checked there is no way to actually calibrate/set brightness (what iOS calls "brightness" is actually just the backlight, brightness in video terms is actually black level).

I would suggest just get what color you want. It's a phone, not a edit suite/high end home theater/etc....

10. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I think if you buy the white, you may get irritated by having to deal with the blatantly obvious letterbox bars on apps that haven't been updated for the new screen. But I'm not sure it's the cameras that they're using to show the 5. I've been trying to find pictures out there to see how hard the front screen really is when it's on and off, and I haven't found any yet. I think that would be a great improvement for the new phone. I personally love the black phone, but since I usually don't put mine in a case, the black paint they use around the bezel and stuff is gonna look like crap with age. So white for me...

11. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

"How deep are the blacks?" Really? hahahahah, good title bro.

This deep: :apple: