How did a guy get an iPhone on the £35pm package with O2 for £28?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkmonster, May 17, 2009.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

A guy who was in the pub for my friends' brothers' birthday had an iPhone he'd only just got a week ago after upgrading from another handset at O2 and he'd got it for £28pm over 18 months for the plan with 500 minutes etc...

The guy said he'd literally just gone in to upgrade, that's what they'd offered him and to blag it when I look at getting one myself.

I generally spend £20 - 30pm on my existing Simplicity tariff with O2, an 8Gb iPhone is £96 so that's less than a new nano. The problem is, the entry level package only has 75 mins and I might end up getting large bills if I don't have more than that.

I've had a lot of problems with O2 since changing tariffs and them messing it up, I think that might give me so leverage but I thought the tariff's were set in stone by Apple?

An iPhone might be my best option, my nokia has problems with the speaker that's making calls difficult, my first generation iPod nano has about 4 hours of playback from each charge, the audio out from the dock connector is messed up after dropping it in coke and I basically only use my phone for texting, calls, writing notes and looking up information on google. If the iPhone can do these 2 simple things my 4 year old nokia copes with easily, it's my cheapest option overall: -

1) Assign "anything" in my iTunes library, even stuff I've made myself a ringtone and have customisable ringtones for each person in my address book?

I have a sample from UHF that plays everytime one of my friends calls because when he started going grey, he looked like a badger for instance :-D

2) The ability to type a note into a note pad app on the phone while making a call on speaker phone? I do this so much, I'd have to go back to pen and paper if the iPhone couldn't cope with something as simple as this.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

1) yes, anything non drm'd can be made into a max 40s ringtone in garageband, it doesn't cost anything. And you can give individuals their own ringtone.

2) yes, you can exit the phone app by pressing the home button and stay in the call, you can then open maps, mail, notepad, safari, anything really.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

When my brother signed up for his 3G in store the store clerk told us he was slightly dyslexic and he had trouble spelling my brothers name. He asked if he didnt mind me typing it for him so I did. I then kept a close eye on the following screens and when it came to the contract drop down menu where he would choose 30, 35, 45 etc there were many more options like £28, I think I saw a £10 and there was definitely a free option. I asked him about it and he said (in a roundabout way) its at their discretion but aimed more towards very special circumstances to which he wouldn't name. ;)

4. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Well he's in the Police and built like a brick s***house. Maybe the guy in the O2 shop was scared? (kidding).

I guess I'll just ask when I've got the money together. I could show them how awful my current phone is, how pitiful my iPod looks in comparison and hope I can guilt them into it by complaining about it taking them 5 months to resolve a dispute on my bill, costing me bank charges for not cancelling a direct debit etc... and hope the fact I have no choice but to go through O2 if I want an iPhone isn't an issue.

I'd be fine if i got 400 minutes, 200 texts and unlimited 3G internet if they'd do that for £25 :D

5. Aurial macrumors 6502

You can generally blag quite good deals out of the networks if you threaten to leave and call through to retentions.

O2 weren't doing it on the 3G when it was released, but now they're trying to clear their stock of the old iPhones I wouldn't be at all suprised if they were offering deals with them.

He probably got offered the iPhone plus a discount on line rental to stay.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Are they? Since when? :confused: Fact? or just another rumour/supposition!!? :D

7. nickane macrumors 6502

A friend of mine blagged a 3g for 20 quid a month recently. I asked him how but he just said he prayed. I suspect their attitude has changed as apple lets them have the phones cheaper later in their lifespan. I pay 20 for a 2g on simplicity 20 (altho it was called 25 when i got it, altho now i think the disciunt is permanent).

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I think they are, they are now offering the phone free on a 24 month tariff. Apple/AT&T now sell the phone online and are willing to ship out in the states.

I think if you go in and negotiate properly...you might get something

9. matttye macrumors 601

O2 generally have really good customer service in my experience.

I've had a few issues with them through number porting and losing allowances/bolt-ons etc. Every time I send them an e-mail they give me something like 60+ free minutes or free texts as a "gesture of goodwill."

You can probably get a good deal out of them by being assertive in store and saying you might have to look at your other options if the tarriffs aren't suitable for you.

10. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

My Dad got his line rental discounted because the chap in the shop offered him his staff discount to keep the sale.

Apparently the staff are only allowed to discounted phones. No idea why he done it

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Get a second-hand iPhone and run it on their Simplicity or PAYG tariffs. That's what I did last month, and I'm pretty happy. No contract, and I can sell mine on if I want.

Wait a month or so for the new iphone, and second hand prices should fall further.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I know people who are getting corporate staff discount deals on O2 apply to iPhone contracts now, with up to a 30% discount - wasn't possible at launch, but is being allowed now.

I guess O2 are just much more eager to shift their remaining stock.

Phazer