How did Apple get us to think $500 more isn’t a big deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Kendo macrumors 68020

We went from shell shock in paying $200 for an iPhone (carrier subsidy era) to paying $650 for an iPhone. Then all of a sudden they tack on an extra $100 for a Plus size and we got used to that. Then all of a sudden we got convinced into buying an X with max storage and before we knew it, $1150 seems “normal” when we practically jumped double in price. How did we get to this?

2. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Because we kept buying their phones like drug addicts...

3. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

People will pay. I heard a ton of complaining about the price, but very few who made the decision not to buy just because of the price (which means, if the other features were viewed as worth it, they would pay that price).

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

My financials always go towards items of value or use. Value meaning my home, investments, etc. Use means my car, my phone, clothing, etc. I use my phone every single day. It's on my person almost 14 hours a day. Calculate how often and how much a phone is part of your life, you'll realize $1000 for a device that is literally (these days) almost inseparable from you isn't much at all.

Also, I'm eligible to upgrade each year and I'm paying $50 a month. That means I'm paying $600 for the iPhone Ten not $1000. At the end of the day to each their own. I used to drive $20,000 cars. Now I drive $50,000 cars. I used to live in a townhouse. Now I live in a beautiful single family home. Things change as does spending as it suits each person.

Last thought: $50 per month isn't much. Most families toss away well over $50 in food a month (if not a week). I know people who spend x3 that on coffee a month. It's all subjective.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm not paying $500 more than my last phone..... my 7+ was $969. My X is $1149.

I'm paying $180 more.....

6. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Couldn't have said it better. I think that phones, even at a grand, a hugely under-priced for what they offer relative to other things that we buy in life that get a fraction of their use out of.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think the bigger question is how people convince themselves to buy a new phone. Before anyone gets defensive, I am in the same boat. I have a 6s plus that needs a new battery. Otherwise it does everything I need VERY well. I convinced myself that an $80 battery isn't worth it. The $999 X was... go figure.

I absolutely do expect the year after year upgrades to reduce.

8. california_kid macrumors regular

Because a lot of consumers have no problems with:
    • $5 plus tip for a latte
    • $300 for a concert ticket
    • $20 bowl of ramen
    • $200 sneakers
    • $100 per month cable just to watch 8 channels
    • ...and so on.....
    I haven't even listed the "feel good" products that charge even more because of some cause or activism.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Do you know what it takes to get that bowl of ramen on your table?!

In all seriousness I love Ramen. Never been anywhere where it was $20 though. And I have been to a lot of Ramen spots haha.

10. california_kid macrumors regular

LOL yeah. In SF and LA, average menu price is $14 without any extras. They also charge a buck or 2 for tea. It wasn't too long ago, one could buy a really good bowl of ramen for $10 fully loaded. My friends from Japan are in utter disbelief it's more than $7 and of course no tips expected there.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say that's variable on the person. Not everybody has To use every single feature on an iPhone for them to appreciate it. Everybody will use their phones differently and take advantage of different functionalities. But it's there if they still want to use it. Most don't utilize all the capabilities on a smart phone to as it is, but it's their for those who want it.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We just went to Japan. The Ramen was off the chain. My favorite was in piss alley, mostly because of price. $4 and it even came with tempura. I could eat there every day. We also had Kikanbo oni level on both spices. I honestly thought I was going to die. I finished it though. That was an additional $2 for the spice so I think we paid around $14 a bowl. We ran back to the hotel to **** pure fire. Good times hahahahahaha

13. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I think the truth is Apple has us by the balls (or equivalent anatomy). I couldn’t do without my phone anymore, so if these three main smartphone companies just decided to charge $4K for these things, I’d have to finance it and figure it out. Not every year as I do now, surely, but what am I going to do?

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The ramen is Japan is damn ridiculously good and cheap.

Yarou Ramen in Akihabara was just all around outrageous.

[​IMG]

15. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

For many people, the smartphone has become an integral part of their lives. It often replaces the multiple devices that people owned before the iPhone was introduced (phone, camera, and for some a computer), and depending on the kinds of apps that are used it could replace other costly hardware. For example, I use mine for lap timing at a racetrack, which replaces hardware setups that often ran in the thousands of dollars. There are apps that can be used for wireless network imaging that replace equivalent hardware that also runs into the thousands of dollars.

Relative to what people spend on other things, and the benefits it provides, the $100 a month outlay for a phone (assuming yearly upgrade) is nothing to write home about.

16. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

It's not Apple's fault. The carriers choose no longer to subsidize any phone. BTW, the price of the first iPhone at full price was $599.

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The plus model along with the user-hostile storage option changes that slowly get people to bump up storage levels each year.

By making the storage gap 4x (32->128, 64->256) they force the "in-between" users onto the higher price point.

18. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes but my point is we were used to paying $600 and suddenly $1150 is the norm.

19. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

The 6 Plus was not $600. The 6S plus was not $600, the 7 Plus was not $600. I have no idea how we were use to $600, when those phones cost a lot more than $600.

20. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68020

My point was that we were used to paying $650 for a premium phone (iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S) and suddenly the premium phone price is $1150.

21. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

That was 5+ years ago. The phone price didn't jump to $1150 for a 6 Plus.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Apple could charge $2000 for the iPhone and have people line up to buy them they would.

23. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

When threads such as these are posted I like to throw around "perceived value". If somebody perceives that an item is of value to them at the price, they will buy it. You can make justifications such as the coffee argument that I keep reading about, but, if you have to give something up that you enjoy then the product may be out of your price range.

24. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

Wow.....channeling Tim Cook today? Yes certainly its all subjective. But man ....Tim...is that you?!

I wouldn't be bragging that our phones are inseparable fro us. As long as we are making comparisons I'll say its as or more addicting than a cup of coffee. Is that a good thing in the end? Only time will tell.

25. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

They can do it because it pretty much replaces your music player, and camera. I wonder if you specked out each separately: basic cell phone, camera with same iphone specs and music player(ipod with same storage) what the price would be.

I get it, the iphone has always had all 3 of these combined but all three have improved over time.