How did I go from 90% Battery Health to "Service Battery"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JajoPGH, Nov 3, 2011.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

How did my battery crap the bed pretty much overnight? The Battery Health meter is at 52% right now. Earlier today it was at 64%. Last night, it was at 90%. I have had the computer for a little over two years, and now I'm getting this message? I had just told a new Macbook Pro owner that my MBP was without faults. Not anymore, apparently.

Is this normal?

2. Mersailios macrumors regular

How many charge cycles do you have on your battery? You can locate this information in System Profiler under the "Power" category.

3. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

Is the battery in your MacBook Pro swappable or is it built in?

5. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure. I think it's a mid 2009, if that helps. There is one large panel on the bottom that covers the whole bottom.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try to calibrate your battery. Had the same thing happen to me but calibrating the battery didn't do anything, I have a dead battery. Might be different for you.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Did your macbook run out of battery for the first time in a long while?

703 cycles seems quite a bit, but it shouldn't be down to 50% because of this. Calibrating might help, good luck.

8. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help.

I guess it's dead (or dying). It doesn't hold a charge for more than 2 hours or so.

I tried calibrating it, but to no avail :(

9. Kashika macrumors regular

Try resetting the SMC:

Shut off MPB

Plug in charger

Hold: Shift+control+option+The power button for ten seconds and then release them.

Start up as normal.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If resetting the SMC doesn't correct it, you may have a dying battery. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

11. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

By any chance, did it happen after 'upgrading' to Lion? That happened to me right after installing Lion, switching back to SL returned my battery to current state (86%).

12. ssn637 macrumors 6502

After upgrading to Lion my battery health plummeted and I've also gone back to Snow Leopard with a new one on order. This seems to be a general problem with Lion. No idea why.

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I have no idea why either; there were people who had the same issue when switching from Leopard to SL, too. It didn't come back right away for me, either; a few cycles of draining the battery and recharging (after reinstalling SL) ultimately corrected the situation, but not before I bought a new battery. So, now I have a spare....

14. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my Late-06 Whitebook just this July. It's held over 1000 cycles and was at 86% capacity, started chomping through battery like anything and dying at 42%. I removed the battery and shoved it in a dry box over a weekend I was away, then I returned, put the battery back in and charged it overnight while the Mac was shut down.

I'm back to my previous capacity which people regard 'legendary' for a battery its age.

15. Mersailios macrumors regular

Considering those batteries were only rated for 300 charge cycles I would say that's beyond legendary!

16. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Everyone, thanks for all the help you offered!

I am still running Snow Leopard for the time being.

Unfortunately, the SMC did not seem to help things.

I do remember one thing before the Service Battery message came up. My wife was charging her iPhone through the MBP. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not at all. It just sounds like it's time for your battery to be replaced.

18. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Well, GMA950 is far from it when you're stitching images into 70megapixel documents and working with 720/1080p broadcast-quality film :p

19. JacaByte macrumors 6502

By dry box do you mean like a freezer or something different?