How did the original metal iPhone fare with scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viewfly, Sep 27, 2012.

1. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

My first iPhone was the 3G. The original in 2007 was aluminum backed. How did that

1. Fare with scratches
    2. With complaints about scratching the back?

I don't remember. But that one had to be the same anodized aluminum silver back, as is the iPads. . Yes I know most complaints are about the black model. However, it will scratch eventually and wondered how they fared since 2007.

Any previous owners comments? Was that a big thing back then? Has it been long enough that we can say back in the day? ;)

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it scratched like a beast! I sold my 4S and it was nick/scratch free after a year of use. My original looked like it went to hell and back....granted it did.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I had mine orginal iPhone for a year....no skin, no case and no scratches.

Held up very well in my opinion

4. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Same.

6. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

So I guess the conclusion for wear and tear on the aluminum original iPhone is the same for all previous iPods and Al MacBooks. It will hold up well but with rough handling or over time even the white/silver models will age or look beat up. I think the similarity between the iPhone 5 and iPods or iPads is different from a MacBook or iMac in that the computers have less day to day handling plus have feet or bottom bumpers to protect the bottom from scuffing on a table. Plus they are not put into your pocket with keys etc.

Thanks for the responses.

7. mebehere macrumors regular

I was careful with mine but didn't use a case. I had no scratches on the aluminum back at all. However, the silver bezel (not sure the material) did scratch. Wasn't a biggie, though.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I still have mine, I've kept it just for fun. It was a very durable phone. Far more durable than my rather dainty iPhone 5.

It's a shame that durability is overshadowed by Apples desire to sell us a new phone every year. With Apple it's about bragging rights as to who's got the most money.

They are winning big, and _very_ addicted to the Cash Cow known as the iPhone.

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well less hipsters hatersgate drinking haterates back in the days! Now everyone has an iphone. So more blah blah blah!

10. tekno macrumors 6502a

Well it's lucky people don't keep things like keys and mobile phones in their pocket.

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Keys in one pocket phone in the other.
    It's not a difficult concept

12. viewfly thread starter macrumors 65816

viewfly

Why do you think it was more durable? Same material being used. Or are you mostly referring to the black model ?

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's more of a shame that people that claim that durability is important aren't voting with their dollars if they think that Apple isn't meeting their requirement. They're only winning big because people keep buying them.

14. rritterson macrumors 6502

I remember mine getting scratched, but because the aluminum covered nearly all of the back, and the black plastic scratched too, the whole thing wore with age and looked well loved.

My 4 didn't get any scratches as the glass is so hard. I worry now with the 5 that the aluminum back will scratch but the top/bottom glass will stay shiny and it won't wear uniformly.

After a few months though, the newness always wears off and I don't care anyway.