How did you get your iPhone5 replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 24, 2012.

?

What did you do to get it swapped?

1. Phone support -- issue resolved with swap

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Phone support -- issue NOT resolved with swap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Genius bar -- issue resolved with swap

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. Genius bar -- issue NOT resolved with swap

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Retail swap with another New in box -- issue resolved

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Retail swap with another New in box -- issue NOT resolved

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Just wondering for people who had problems with their first, and has it been resolved?

2. jargon51 macrumors 6502

Went with phone support through AT&T because that's what Apple told me I had to do since I purchased from them online. I am using the black one until they ship me a new white one. Have no idea how long it will take, currently on backorder. At least I have the black one until then.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

scuffgate?

4. TannerH macrumors regular

Looks like most people who are complaining to Apple are getting replacements.

5. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So anyone who has done the express exchange, when do you get your tracking numbers?

6. lguest macrumors newbie

Getting replacement through phone

Is it also possible to get a replacement through phone if I got the phone from a retail store?

7. jargon51, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

jargon51 macrumors 6502

Yeah I guess you could call it that. While the sides of the phone did have some scuffs and dings I am more upset with the marred screen. I have a 1/4 inch blotch/scratch/marr on the screen in the upper left hand corner.

8. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

For phone support did you guys get retail replacements with original packaging or just the phone in a replacement box?

9. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Black VZW 64gig had a gouge and scuffing on bezel, within 1hr of getting the phone from FedEx @ 8:43am, local Verizon store had me in a white one within a hour of getting there. Flawless and no issues.

10. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

some people who participated in the poll, care to elaborate on your situation?

11. jargon51 macrumors 6502

Sure, Received my preordered AT&T device on Friday afternoon. Opened it up and found the scuffs on the sides but upon further inspection I noticed a scratch/blotch on the upper left hand corner of the screen. Found out that I could not go to Apple and have them replace because I ordered through AT&T. Called AT&T on Saturday morning and initiated the return and exchange process. I will be getting a white 32GB to replace my damaged black 32GB. They are on back order now so don't know when I will receive it but hopefully by the time I do they will have fixed the problems. The bright side is that I get to use the black one until the new white one arrives.

12. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

My battery was dropping 10% an hour without touching phone and turning all location and notifications off. I took it into apple store and they ran diagnostics and said the battery is fine, but they have no problem swapping for a brand new one.

I decided this time around upload all my pictures before I left, turn off everything on icloud except my contacts and redownload what apps I want on it. I set it up as new phone and just kept contacts and reloaded apps and now my battery life is amazing. Was it the phone itself or the software? I have no idea, but I am impressed with the battery life now and it actually feels better starting over and getting rid of the many stupid apps I dont even use anymore. I suggest it to anyone.

13. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

14. phixionalninja macrumors member

Oops, didn't read all the options. I went through the Genius Bar, but I got a new one in box, not a white box swap.

EDIT: This was on release day, went back in the afternoon that day due to two dead pixels.

15. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I had to wait about 20 minutes past my appointment--they only had 2 geniuses working during that hour (close to lunch time).

There were 5 people who were there to swap their phones also. Two of them had the white model and the others had the black model.

At first, the guy who checked people in asked for a quick description of the problem. He immediately started asking questions like if the phone was carried in a jeans pocket (if a pair of jeans can chip aluminum, people wouldn't wear them) or if people dropped their phones as they were opening them.

After getting the death stare from the 2nd customer he asked, he stopped asking those questions.

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Haha, the death stare.

These issues suck but can't blame the genius for lack of QC.

As long as they are accommodating, empathetic, and don't give you attitude, I feel bad for any attitude that they receive.

17. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

My choice isn't there. I called sales to setup a return, and they pretty much begged me to not return it and accept a White in exchange for my black.

18. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

I had a couple of scuffs (barely seen, but I knew they were there) & I also had the ear speaker not working peoperly.

Went to the Apple Store in Galleria Mall, Fort Lauderdale and they swapped my black ATT 16gb for a brand new one, on the spot!!!

19. gotdesl macrumors newbie

Called Apple who then tried to get AT&T to do a replacement. AT&T refused, so Apple set me up with a Genius Bar appointment. Went in today and had it swapped. After he took it out of the white box, I began inspecting it. It is more flawed than the original. Genius told me that if he was looking at it for physical abuse, he probably wouldn't count what he saw as physical abuse and refused to open any more boxes. Told me I would have to live with it. After about 4 hours of phone calls just to get this apointment, sending in pics, and getting told I am stuck with a phone in worse cosmetic condition, I am pissed. I have already sent emails back to Customer Support and Apple Care employees who were bending over backwards to get me help, especially after they saw the pics of the first one.

20. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Retail swap with another New in box -- issue resolved

Phoned Apple, they sent out a replacement and I am waiting to send the other one back.

I got a brand new sealed retail box, direct from China.

21. Huttz macrumors newbie

I setup an appointment today as after a week I noticed dust getting in under the camera lens and one spec of dust under the front main screen which basically looked like a dead pixel. Showed the guy... he said that the iPhone 5 by design may allow for dust to get into the device as they changed the way they produced it vs. the 4 and 4s (not sealed because they wanted it to be easier to change out the front screen). Anyways after that he did admit quite a bit of dust had gotten in after only a week so he did swap my device for a new one. Had to go through 2 devices to find an acceptable one.

22. miamicanes17 macrumors newbie

I originally could not pick up LTE for the first couple days of my iPhone. I first called Apple to make sure I had LTE in my area and to make sure I had all the settings correct on my phone(even though I knew LTE was turned under network settings). Apple told me to check with AT&T to make sure I had LTE on my data plan. I did, so I made a genius bar appointment, went in the next day and they gave me a replacement no problem. It took a little longer than I wanted, but Apple handled my problem very well and gave me a replacement with no issues. :)