How difficult will it be for me to get the new phone on release day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuckeyeMac, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

So this will be the 1st iPhone that I will get at launch (hopefully). I'm using the 3Gs now and have been up for an upgrade since March/April.

How difficult will it be for me to get the new phone on release day?

Thanks

2. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

The pre-order process has been pretty easy over the past few years. My 4 was actually delivered a day early.

If you're talking about standing in line at an Apple store, there's no way to know until you get there.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Not difficult at all if you pre-order online as soon as it's available on the Apple website. It's happened in the past that the initial batch of pre-orders were actually delivered a day or two before the phone was officially available for sale at stores.

4. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet that's what ill do. So do I have to take it into ATT after its delivered?

5. chokem macrumors 6502

+1 on the pre-order route. My 4S also came the day before official release. No hassle, no waiting in line, etc.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If rumors are true you may have to get a nano sim from AT&T (or micro sim since I don't remember if the 3GS used those).

If the phone comes with a sim, call AT&T to activate it and you should be good to go.

7. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I've always ordered from apple's website and have never had any problems. It either comes on time or early.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Huh? All new iPhone's come with a sim already........ No need to go to the att store at all. IF it's bought online the phone will already be programmed with his/her current number so activating the phone will kill the sim in his 3gs and activate the iPhone 5.

10. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

So if it comes with a sim and my number per loaded, all I have to do is activate the phone via iTunes??

11. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

If you use your upgrade then yes the new iPhone 5 will come with a new SIM ready to be activated either using iTunes or using OTA ( Over The Air ) activation. OTA was added last year and with it you don't need to connect to a PC or Mac and use iTunes for the activation steps. :D

Your phone number will be associated with the new iPhone during activation.

Now back to your original post: Are you considering pre-ordering or just trying to snag one on launch day? If you are planning to just walk-in on launch day an purchase that may be a little more of a challenge depending where you are purchasing and how many others are wanting the new iPhone.

Dave

12. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I have a question regarding ordering online...

When i ordered my iPhone 4 online, Apples site took FOREVER to get through so i could actually complete the order process successfully. To anyone who pre-ordered the iPhone 4S through Apples website, did you have problems with too much traffic causing ordering problems or was the whole transaction pretty smooth? I'm just wondering if Apples site has improved at all over the last 2+ years as far as handling all the users ordering at once.

Thanks,
    Jason

13. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I'm in the UK - Pre-order

Lets see how that works out!

It better not come the day before or the day before that, as I will be at work .. If it releases on the Friday I will be having a long weekend

:D

----------

Everyone on the planet had refresh issues.

Welcome to the asylum.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to read the other 3,489 threads asking this.

Bottom line - NOBODY knows.

15. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Ah, i was afraid of that! :rolleyes:

Oh well, the nice thing about the site is that it seems like as long as you are persistent and just keep trying until you get through, you will be lucky enough to get an iphone on launch. I am so excited! I wish I didnt have class during the keynote wednesday!!

16. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes there were issues with the Apple site when the pre-orders started and several times throught the first 24 hours. Some of the issues were on the Apple side and some were on the Carrier side since data had to pass between Apple and the different carriers.

Also AT&T, Sprint and Verizon had issues with their sites due to the big crunch in pre-orders.

Expect challenges again this year during the pre-order rush.

Dave

17. Boiler macrumors regular

Preorder early
    The order process will take your info
    And come with microsim

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Next time, please complete the subject of your post. It's considered bad form to make short non-informative subjects like that.

Thanks.

19. rugox macrumors regular

Don't know if this has been answered already or not, but will they have unlocked versions available on launch day? If so, do unlocked versions come with sim cards?

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's going to be easy because according to a lot of people on this forum everyone has already moved on to the Galaxy S3, and no one wants a long screen glorified iPhone 4S...

LOL

It will probably be tough if you don't pre-order or get it as soon as the doors open. I plan on being in line first thing in the AM.

21. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 will be VERY easy to get compared to past shortages... why? Because it's simply not going to sell as well as past models did.

Mark my words.

22. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for the help...too bad I made this thread back on July 19th...not recently. :rolleyes:

I will be pre-ordering, just wasn't sure of what the activation process if it's preordered and delivered to my door, since like I said, this is my 1st iPhone release.

Thanks to those who had meaningful insight. :cool:

23. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

OK, we will see. Come back here in a few weeks ;)

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

He may be on to something regarding the ease of getting one. The 4S wasn't a redesign at all and they did sell more than the 4 yet my friend walked into an Apple store the evening it was released and got one right away.

25. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Oh I will. :D

The mobile market is a different place now than it was a year ago... Apple knows the iPhone 5 is not going to do as well as the 4s did. At least not in the short term.

A big reason for the 4s success was allowing its sale on nearly all carriers. Hell, you can get a 4s on prepaids now.

Before it was ATT, then ATT and Verizon. Then you allows tens of millions of others to buy and it opens a huge market.

Those people are a year in, they're not going to buy off contract, so, the sales will not be what the 4s was.

Why do you think Apple stock is dropping today?

Wisdom tells us two things:

1. The iPhone 5 will disappoint.

2. The iPhone 5 will not outsell the 4s (at least within the first year).