Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
How do Android phones have flash and "real" multitasking yet they have roughly the same battery life as an iPhone. All my friends that have Android phones can get through the day just as I can, and sometimes longer (depending on the phone) than I. I know iOS is very well integrated with the hardware and doesn't require as much resources to run just as fast, but if they gave the iPhone flash and multi-tasking... oh my gosh... we'd get 5 hours of battery life!

I just don't get it. I'm not complaining about not having flash and such, just curious of why this is. :apple:

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
How do Android phones have flash and "real" multitasking yet they have roughly the same battery life as an iPhone. All my friends that have Android phones can get through the day just as I can, and sometimes longer (depending on the phone) than I. I know iOS is very well integrated with the hardware and doesn't require as much resources to run just as fast, but if they gave the iPhone flash and multi-tasking... oh my gosh... we'd get 5 hours of battery life!

I just don't get it. I'm not complaining about not having flash and such, just curious of why this is. :apple:

Are they using the flash all day? because if they use the flash all day i doubt they will get the same battery life. my android phones always lasted me through the day but i never used any flash based sites and rarely used the internet .

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Somebody's going to tell you android phones only get 3 hours of battery life. This should be funny

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Are they using the flash all day? because if they use the flash all day i doubt they will get the same battery life.

Maybe not, but you can deny average use gets ~ the same, possibly better (again, depending on the phone) than the iPhone a lot of times on "average use".

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
probably because most android phones have monster screens. monster screen=monster size=monster battery.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Here is a real scenario that I experienced.

In June... I switch from my iPhone 4 to an imported Galaxy S II for 3 weeks.

iPhone:

I would unplug my charger at 8:30

Drive to work.

Start shift at 9:00

Send 10-20 texts.

Browse the web for about 20 mins (during breaks)

Facebook App, twitter...

Off work at 5:00

Battery life at about 84%

Galaxy S II

Drive to work.

Send 10-20 texts.

Browse the web for about 20 mins (during breaks) *FLASH TURNED ON

Facebook App, twitter...

Battery life at about 58%

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
Android phones may have flash but that doesnt mean they are using it all day.

Trust me, if they were using flash ALLLLLL day long.... the day would be a short 2.5 hour day.

My SG2 draws WAY more battery than my old iPhone 4.
(reason why im switching back)

First day of having the SG2, I was running out of juice at work so had to keep it plugged in.

Then i realized I needed to turn off a lot of stuff when im not using it.. constantly closing programs, turning off wi-fi, dimming the screen, turning off auto fetch email, turning off location services and auto refresh widgets.

NOW with all of this turned off... my SG2 will be at about... 60% at the end of the work day 8-5 with very limited texting/callling

haha @ 1080!! Same experience here basically.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I've had more than 10 android phones and none of them lasted as long as my iPhone 4.

Check out this battery test from anandtech.

41513.png

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
I went to Disneyland with some friends last weekend. We used our phones to goof around while waiting. We started at about 8AM and my friend's Droid X2 was done by about 3:00. He switched to his Blackberry from thereout. I went home at about midnight with about 18% battery left on my Samsing Admire. Basically it's hard to generalize about battery life, even on the same platform. Even being an Android user, my perception is that their battery life is worse than an iDevice (my old iPhone 3G with a 2 year and change old battery lasts about 1/3rd longer then my Admire).

Also I'm confused about the "real" multitasking bit as Android apps get tombstoned just like iOS & Windows Phone apps. The only difference is you can write any kind of background service you'd like to on Android v.s. the limitations Apple does on creating the same functionality.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I came to the 4S from a Droid X, and it in no way has equivalent battery life. I figured it was the massive screen on the DX but either way I have been very pleased with the 4S battery. My Droid X never ever lasted me a full day because I use my phones a decent amount, but my 4S lasts me all day every day. I was frankly shocked because I thought that the poor battery life was a fact of smartphone life. I don't recall ever complaining about the DX battery but the 4S battery has blown my mind.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How do Android phones have flash and "real" multitasking yet they have roughly the same battery life as an iPhone. All my friends that have Android phones can get through the day just as I can, and sometimes longer (depending on the phone) than I.
They can also get much less. You're overgeneralizing and running on mistaken assumptions.

Maybe not, but you can deny average use gets ~ the same, possibly better (again, depending on the phone) than the iPhone a lot of times on "average use".
People love to use the terms "light", "average" and "heavy" usage. Those words mean nothing. You're attempting to use them as some sort of objective measure and they're not objective at all. What you consider any of those to be are not the same was anyone else would.

Unless you can use truly objective measurements it's impossible to have a meaningful comparison.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I had an HTC Droid Incredible and I couldn't get through 10 hours of normal use before I had to plug in it. Heavy use only allowed about 6 hours of battery life. I've had my iPhone for nearly 3 days and so far I've gotten through about 12-14 hours of normal use and about 8-9 of heavy usage. My definition of heavy may be different than other people, but I'm still impressed nonetheless. It might make a difference that I have the 4, not the 4S.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
My HTC, a development phone since I refuse to actually carry it.... gives me about 3 hours of useful battery life. Standby is closer to 8 hours. Neither makes it practical for real world use.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

snip...

/thread

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Thunderbolt was terrible on battery life with it's 4 LTE just eating the battery up like it's at a buffet. I got the extended battery for it and now it's a different story. I only charge my phone 2 times a week :) better than iPhone even after your restore as new phone monthly trick :)

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010

Flash is a danger to App Store. You can download free music from Flash for example and there are soooo many Flash games.

That's the real reason Apple doesn't want Flash.

----------

I've had more than 10 android phones and none of them lasted as long as my iPhone 4.

41746.png

41745.png

Post all benchmarks. It's not fair to post only 1 benchmark where the iPhone wins.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Flash is a danger to App Store. You can download free music from Flash for example and there are soooo many Flash games.

----------

Post all benchmarks. It's not fair to post only 1 benchmark where the iPhone wins.

Apple said no to flash before there was an App store...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
mark28 said:
Originally Posted by iBreatheAppleHow do Android phones have flash and "real" multitasking yet they have roughly the same battery life as an iPhone. All my friends that have Android phones can get through the day just as I can, and sometimes longer (depending on the phone) than I. I know iOS is very well integrated with the hardware and doesn't require as much resources to run just as fast, but if they gave the iPhone flash and multi-tasking... oh my gosh... we'd get 5 hours of battery life! I just don't get it. I'm not complaining about not having flash and such, just curious of why this is. :apple: Flash is a danger to App Store. You can download free music from Flash for example and there are soooo many Flash games. That's the real reason Apple doesn't want Flash.----------Originally Posted by KoukiFC3SI've had more than 10 android phones and none of them lasted as long as my iPhone 4. Check out this battery test from anandtech. Image Post all benchmarks. It's not fair to post only 1 benchmark where the iPhone wins.

What does your 3G talk time have to do with flash and web browsing batt. life?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
probably because most android phones have monster screens. monster screen=monster size=monster battery.

The Galaxy S2 prove your statement to be false. It's screen is huge compare to the little iPhone screen, it is way brighter and it AND it's battery equal a phone that is thinner than the iPhone. Right now my SG2 does get better battery use than my iP4S. I expect Apple to fix this but all Android phone do not run out of power after a few hours.:D

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

Apple cares about something called User Experience. UX. When you scroll, swipe, zoom, tap, in a web browser, Apple wants this to work. As expected. No stuttering, no slow downs, no WTF moments. Smooth and clean. They would sacrifice ANYTHING for UX. After all, great design is about saying NO. Great design is about compromise. Adobe simply couldn't provide (and 5 years later still didn't) Apple with a version of flash that works. 5 years later, flash ON A MAC sucks. I have a C2D Macbook and it turns on fans like crazy when watching a flash video. This is a machine orders of magnitude more capable than an iPhone. This isn't taking into account the fact that flash is a technology that just wasn't built for multitouch. It simply wasn't. Now, Adobe is trying to make it "touch-friendly" but that is like putting lipstick on a pig. Apple didn't make OS X multitouch friendly. They built iOS from the ground up for multitouch.

SteveyAsp

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Here is a real scenario that I experienced.

In June... I switch from my iPhone 4 to an imported Galaxy S II for 3 weeks.

iPhone:

Drive to work.

Send 10-20 texts.

Browse the web for about 20 mins (during breaks)

Facebook App, twitter...

Battery life at about 84%

Galaxy S II

Drive to work.

Send 10-20 texts.

Browse the web for about 20 mins (during breaks) *FLASH TURNED ON

Facebook App, twitter...

Battery life at about 58%

I'd say there's something wrong with your SGS2, I have both iPhone 4 and SGS2 and the battery life is about the same.

Before Android got dual core processors then the iPhone 4 battery walked all over Android but not now.

Hardly surprising most people on this site having a go at Android as most will be fanboy's and not realists.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple cares about something called User Experience.
My iPhone experience:

First iPhone: not bad for a version 1.0 product

Second gen: getting better, now with 3G quite nice

iPhone 3GS: excellent phone, more refined, I'm very satisfied.

iPhone 4: terrific styling, oops surprise - ANTENNAGATE can't get a signal in places the 3GS was really good in. Oops surprise, home buttons fail, I get three free replacement iPhones.

iPhone 4S: oops surprise, battery life is crap, phone dies, back to the Apple store for a replacement.
iPhone 4S (#2) oops no surprise, another buggy nasty phone. Back to the Apple store, but only after it dies, sound familiar?
iPhone: 4S (#3) oops... you don't even have time to read the long list...

Oh, and by the way? Apple cares so much about "the user experience" the old CEO spoke to us in the most condescending way he might as well have used the words

Look you stupid idiots "You're Holding It Wrong"
Don't you know how to hold a flippin cell phone by now ?

Yeah Apple sure does care about the user experience ...

Apple is so smart they know the fanbois will take anything

Oh thank you Steve :) :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.