How do carriers disable features i.e. Hot Spot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Sep 15, 2012.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

SoftBank here in Japan disables wifi hot spot in the settings menu. Same with the camera shutter sound.

I am considering getting an iPhone 5 on Apple Canada because it comes factory unlocked and my family can send it to me.

I was thinking that another bonus would be that the hot spot setting wouldn't be disabled.

But once I update via iTunes in Japan would that setting become disabled again? If not, how come I come I can only ENABLE that setting via a jailbreak with my current iPhone 4 in Japan?

If I pickup an iPhone on Apple Canada maybe I'll have to update via iTunes Canada every time?

It shouldn't matter what store I get the updates fron but it does because every time I restore from iTunes Japan after jail breaking, the hot spot setting gets disabled again.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Through the Carrier Settings. It is a small file in the iPhone can is updated with all the settings your carrier has like MMS server, 3G/2G server information.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

So if I bought an ip5 in Canada since its unlocked and has wifi HotSpot enabled, would this be overwritten by SoftBank via Japan iTunes updates?

When I jail broke before the JB enabled HotSpot. But then when I did a restore/new install Hotspot was there again.

Now I don't remember if it was a restore or new install. Obviously a restore would revert back to the SoftBank state.

Should I not do a restore? Are Japanese iTunes updates the same software as Us/Canada etc? The ipsw file is not identical globally?

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It won't work, since the network has to allow the traffic. Tethering and hotspot traffic is different on their network, so they know if you're trying to cheat the system.

AT&T done this when people tried to get around their tethering.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

?? I have been tethering for years. Softbank doesn't know jack all or doesn't care because in Japan basically no one jailbreaks. Not enough people to worry about it.

Anyway the topic isn't about whether or not I can JB/tether; topic is about downloading ipsw and maintaining factory OS software rather than carrier software.