How do Conservatives win back younger voters?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 11, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

A couple interesting thought pieces from two younger conservatives: Kristen Soltis Anderson and Ben Shapiro. My theory is until the Republican Party rids itself of Donald Trump it’s not getting younger voters back. What’s sad is it’s the Republican Party that has a back bench of young, dynamic politicians that could appeal to younger voters but instead it chose Donald Trump. What happens in 10-20 years when Trump is gone and many of the older white voters are no longer here? Does the Republican Party cease to exist? Or is it at that point where the party is able to remake itself away from the nationalist populism and MAGA crowd?

https://www.weeklystandard.com/kris...tives-can-find-a-way-to-appeal-to-millennials

https://www.weeklystandard.com/shapiro-win-back-young-americans

2. 0007776 Suspended

I think we are at the beginning of a new realignment of the parties, and it is too soon to say exactly who is going to end up with what positions, and which voting blocks. I also think there is at least some evidence that the younger generation coming up behind millennial smoggy be a bit more conservative so they have a chance to win back younger voters there as that generation becomes the younger voters.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Get rid of sexism, racism, holocaust deniers, let women choose how they handle their pregnancies, stop vilifying those on government assistance while spending more taxpayer dollars per year than most doctors make in a year on things they don't need like a team of private security, first class flights, office furniture, vacations, etc. Spend your own over-payed wages on that crap.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This conversation had been around a long time before this thread, and I doubt it will be the last time someone asks the same question.

I think that people tend to grow to be more conservative over time, while this doesn't happen to every young person, I think it is a general trend.

There will be swings in one political leaning from generation to generation, but this conversation has been around for decades, and conservatism is still around.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I still think so long as the Republican Party = Trump they won’t attract younger voters. The question is whether the party can get them back after Trump is gone. And that’s assuming the party still exists. I keep waiting for someone to take the lead on providing a conservative alternative to Trump and it isn’t happening. Evan McMullin is a disaster and politicians like Jeff Flake won’t be the ones to do it.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2018 ---
    Except in the one piece l linked to the trend is that more and more millennials are not growing conservative over time (or at least not voting Republican). That’s a serious problem for Republicans that I don’t think can be addressed so long as it’s the MAGA party.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

While this might be true, as I mentioned in my post sometimes there are swings in one direction or another. For example, I have seen many reports and articles saying that Generation Z tends to be more conservative.

Here is the first link to pop up in a search.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

They've gone overboard in the education system with the liberal indoctrination... however, young people are waking up to what is happening.

For example, they see how disrespectful Cory Booker was to Mike Pompeo and the tone of how Kamala Harris spoke to Gina Haspel.

Nobody wants to be like that.

I'm not worried about the next generation.

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is hilarious. I’d wager that less than 10 percent of young people even know the names Mike Pompeo or Gina Haspel. And those that do are certainly not siding with someone who has a history of condoning torture.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

By picking up the reactionary youth, likely tied to the evangelical base...you know, the same thing they’ve been doing for 40 years? You guys remember the crazy wave of religious nuts that became the Reagan era base right? The wave of superficial Christianity always comes back as a reaction to any progress being made.
    Projecting your opinions on the youth right? If it’s one thing that turns today's teenagers away it’s being disrespectful towards an ******* (your Pompeo comment), yea that’s really going to connect :rolleyes:

10. juanm, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

You hinder their education to keep science and humanities to a minimum (replacing them with religion if possible) and you make sure to control every media so that they only get your version.
    While I get your point, I don't think it's an absolute truth as there are many more variables than age. Someone who's now 65 grew up in a much more open society than someone who was 65 in the fifties. You'll also have external factors like WW2 which exposed youngsters to some things that later generations didn't get to live. Another one is religion: People who are now 65 where educated in a much more religious society, and that no doubt shaped their thinking, along with whatever events and situations they faced over the course of their lives.
    Education, media, affordability of travel all play a huge part:

[​IMG]

There are too many variables, honestly, so if anything I would say that the last few generations are became slightly more conservative as they aged (and even that is not necessarily true, as they might seem to be conservative to us because we compare them to ourselves in 2018). In other words: while it's true that older generations are more conservative, I don't think they became more conservative, it's just they seem more conservative to us.

Also of note, when I meet conservatives, they usually fall in two types:
    1: working class, no education beyond middle school/high school/apprenticeship (or similar)
    2: highly educated, and raised in a religious conservative environment.
    In both cases, I've never noticed age as the defining factor.

A question to the huhh... older participants here: do you think you became more conservative?

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you're missing my point... they don't have to actually know who Pompeo or Haspel are... it's the behavior and tone of Booker and Harris that is so disgusting.

they see that part :cool:

12. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Personally I'd find more disgusting the actions of Pompeo or Haspel than the tone of Booker and Harris.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

"Liberal indoctrination" these days means getting church out of school and preparing kids for the real world, hopefully that helps cut back on the number of bigots crawling amongst the population.

The right has veered so far from the center literally everything that isn't a "deep state" conspiracy theory is "liberal".

14. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think I have on a few issues, abortion is one that comes to mind.

I would consider myself more of a "middle of the road" kind of person, and there isn't a major political party that exactly or even closely fits my views.

For example of the major issues:

I am not religious at all, but maybe a tiny step above atheist (Theist?).

I am white, in an interracial marriage with an interracial child. I do not think that because my child is a minority, that she should get special treatment (affirmative action).

I have no issues with gay marriage, and would even support it/vote for it, but I doubt you will see me at any gay pride parades.

I believe in stronger gun control, but do not think that the 2nd amendment should be appealed.

When I was younger, I believed in a woman's choice when it came to abortion, and while I do not think it should be illegal, my views on this have shifted to a more conservative pov. I find it unfair that a decision of abortion is only the mothers decision. I also think that late term abortion of a healthy baby should be illegal.

I think there should be a "safety net" for people (welfare, UE, housing assistance) and especially families, but I do not think that this should be a life-long program. There are too many people that take advantage of the system, and it just creates cycles multiple generations of poverty instead of helping people get out of it.

Illegal immigration is something else that I have grown to be more conservative about. I do not believe the US should have open borders. I do think that something should be done to allow the otherwise law abiding illegals to stay, like a path to citizenship.

I think these are some of the major issues today. So I guess when it comes to the fiscal matters, I am much more conservative, but the social issues, I am more liberal/middle of the road.

15. Huntn, May 11, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

You may regard this as a partisan statement but it’s reality. In the broad sense, conservative is me>we, while liberal is we>me.

Liberalism is about broad spectrum, level playing field, true equal rights, and opportunity, protecting the environment, free public education, rights of workers, and more importantly the right of workers to live good lives, etc, etc, the well being of society as a whole.

Conservatism is mostly motivated by hanging onto what you already have secured. If you feel like you are a member of a small elite club and are financially secure, in many cases you’ll lean conservative. And conservatism is more of the Robber Barron mindset, involving fabulous wealth for a small group of people as the ideal ultimate goal, maximized profits no matter what the cost to workers or the environment.

And now Conservatives/the GOP have become bankrupt, doubling down on the end justifies the means, while jettisoning tradional conservative moral standards and more distasterously abandoning the truth whenever that stands in the way of scoring a goal. They even seem to have lost what little empathy they had for the underprivaledged that they possessed in the 60-70s.

The huge question for Republicans, especially Christians is if you have to become immoral to get your way, if you knowing hire a lying crook, sleaze, adulterer, racist, womanizer-sexist to run the show, what have you actually achieved? ... or were you just fooled. :oops:

One wrinkle to this are how traditional conservative wedge issues (LBGT, Pro-Choice, Race) things that make average citizens break with fairness and understanding, choose the Robber Barons, being used and voting against their own best interest.

Is it any wonder Milleniums along with most people have issues with Conservatism as it exists today?

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

As others have noted, to the extent that they are even paying attention to these hearings, they are far more likely to be concerned about the people defending torture than the senators being “mean” to them.

17. Scepticalscribe, May 11, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd add social class to that, (which you have touched upon when referring to education), and rural/urban divide, and, indeed, gender - for, the position of women in the First World - especially middle class women for whom educational and employment opportunities unthinkable a few decades earlier became available - has been transformed out of all recognition in the past half century.

Re your question as to whether one has become more conservative as one ages, (and I am now well ensconced in middle age), I would say that it is more subtle than that.

When I was young, I would have classed myself as pretty far left, and longed for sweeping and dramatic change; I think I may have been romantic about revolutions, and a bit of a slave to the charismatic lure of the grand political gesture.

However, where I have changed - considerably - is in my preferences for the manner or means pursued to effect social and political and legal change.

These days, I am much more tolerant of compromise (for, I no longer see it as the "sell-out" that would have been my fierce opinion when younger), of nuance, of recognising that other perspectives may need to be accommodated, or - at least acknowledged - and I am a lot more tolerant of, and appreciative of, the skills required to bring about the blessed achievement in politics and power of managing change via small, incremental, baby-steps when attempting to mid-wife social, legal, and political transformation. These days, I am happy to see some progress, and salute that, rather than holding out for the Perfection of the Revolutionary Paradise.

It is not that I am more conservative (although, in my personal life, I have always been quite conservative), but rather, that I am a lot less emphatically certain that there is only one way to do things, and I am more willing to compromise and achieve a position of "good enough for now" - as a stepping stone - rather than await the dawn of the ideal set of circumstances before seeking political or social change.

It also means cultivating shifting coalitions - not every ally is an ally on everything - rather than an adamantine identification with - and loyalty to - "one's tribe". But, even in my far left days, I had difficulty with the concept of willing suspension of disbelief (in say, a leader, or a party), and the evangelical approach which preferred certainty sat somewhat ill with my character.

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Conservatism is about individual rights over group rights. That’s one reason I’m a conservative.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In all honesty the GOP needs to back off its authoritarian streak and get back to defending freedom per se rather than some religiously determined ethical standpoint that they want to shove down the throat of the nation. Returning to fiscal responsibility and social fairness wouldn't hurt either. I think both parties have to do that.

FWIW I am not young, but I have always been 'independent', and given the way the GOP have acted recently, I would struggle to vote for them ever again. I wonder how many others even among the relatively older people feel the same way.

20. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG]
    I think it’s laughable to suggest the problem with the GOP is shoving some religious moral standard down people’s throats. With the exception of maybe abortion, the country is more culturally and socially liberal than it’s ever been. If the GOP is trying to force some religious morality on the country they’re failing spectacularly.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

We are at an inflection point in American history and politics.

Due to demographic, social, and economic factors, the United States is within a few decades of becoming a minority-majority country (estimates are this will happen between 2041 and 2046.)

And it is my belief that this realization is underpinning virtually all national political alignments. White people, but especially older white people. are greatly alarmed by this prospect, and will do and sacrifice almost anything to prevent or delay this event. As this theoretical day approaches, their desperation will only intensify. And, as I've noted before, Donald Trump is a symptom of this anxiety. Not the cause. Donald Trump will leave office, die, retire, or otherwise leave the scene. But the toxic sentiments he tapped into will remain.

As far as young people? Well, at present babies born to minority parents are already the majority. (Just barely.) These minority babies won't be joining the voting rolls for a couple of decades, but as they do they will inevitably and dramatically alter the voting landscape.

Republicans have made a deal with the devil. Going back to Richard Nixon's "Southern Strategy" - but continuing with Ronald Reagan's "welfare queens", George Bush's "Willie Horton", and Donald Trump's "build a wall". The racial dogwhistles in this approach have created a virtually unbreakable lock on ~ 65% of the white vote.

Republicans could attempt to pivot from this inherently racist strategy. But their hearts aren't in it. Because they know that by reaching out to minorities they will have little - if anything - else to offer the millions of working- and middle-class white people who make up the core of their support.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Just don’t take it to an extreme, and recognize we>me, with the knowledge you live in a society where individual rights are often necessarily curtailed by group rights and for group stability. Can’t shoot your gun or raise chickens in the back yard, need to get that tail light fixed? You don’t have the right to hang a sign, No N****** Allowed in your store? Don’t have the right to dictate you religious standards on your employees.

Conservatives in the Supreme Court, who failed a basic premise of religious freedom. :mad: Besides the latter this is some of the price you pay for not being a hermit up on a mountain somewhere. The list is quite long, what you can’t do. If we are to function like a team, we must act as a team. It can’t be me, me, me, my, my ,my.
    The big question is why do they want him renominated? In my view, it’s a incredible long shot, but more ends justify the means, anarchy, chaos, Lies, fooling suckers, is this what Conservatives have sunk to? And what is the perceived fantasy good ending besides a smoking ruin?

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

"Conservative is the new punk rock".

It was once "rebellious" to be a liberal, not so much anymore. The defiant, rebellious nature of the anti-PC #MAGA alt-right crowd already appeals to young people. While Trump is not fully in line with this more fringe side of the right (I know there was a story about people burning their MAGA hats after Trump was seen as being soft on DACA), he is the closest we've come to having a person like that in the federal government. So I'm not sure that dumping Trump will attract young people. Young people like the "**** the establishment" attitude that Trump embodies. And young people who were never conservative to begin with (like me) only see Trump as further proof that one should stay away from the GOP.

I'll also be honest that many people my age (19-20) for whom the 2016 election was their first real taste of politics are completely turned off of the whole process now and view both parties with disgust.

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Is it the parties or what they have become? Both parties have become disenfranchised from future voters.
    Personally I feel this is cyclic and will change repeatedly. What I do see and expect to grow, is the younger generation drifting away from the parties as current;y structured.

IMHO YOPMS

25. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

There is that word again. Torture. What sever pain was she condoning all while having the pleasure of watching it?