How do I add a backlight to my 15'' aluminum PowerBook G4's keyboard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Hi! I have a 1 GHz aluminum PowerBook from eBay. It has Mac OS X 10.5.8 installed on it, and when I saw the specs, it seemed like the titanium one, but it wasn't. It still has that same aluminum keyboard as well, but there's still no backlight. Is there any way I could fix this? I think it's BTO since the letters on the keys are still transparent and it's 15''. Would replacing the keyboard work?

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Can't. Not enough room to add it yourself. I was disappointed too.

3. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I have an 15" aluminium PowerBook G4 and it's backlit. Are you sure you didn't just miss the option in Settings? Check out Settings -> Keyboard and mouse and see if there's a checkbox for turning on the ALS.

I guess the easiest way to determine if you have it is to look for these keys:
    [​IMG].

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

If you don't have those hotkeys at the top then it's likely it's just a faulty keyboard, buying another one would fix the problem.

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Oh.... I have those keys, but they don't have the symbols. I could always see if it's possible to set up a couple LED's under the keyboard and find a way to turn it on. If I could mod a backlight behind my clamshell iBook keyboard (Probably red) that might work, since it's translucent. It would be easier as well since I could just just unlatch the keyboard to turn it on and off. I think that would actually be better since the keyboard on the iBook is translucent.

6. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Good luck! And don't forget to post pictures if it works!

7. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Oh, thanks!

I forgot to add one thing though: does anybody know some cheap LED's that might fit under the keyboard?

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

OR, he got a 1.0GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4...

The 1GHz model didn't come with a backlit keyboard at all. If you wanted that on your 15" AlBook you had to buy the 1.25GHz model.

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Woops, my bad - misread 1ghz.. I apologize.