How do I add some features of Safari 4 [beta] to Firefox -- addons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shamanskyh, Feb 24, 2009.

1. shamanskyh macrumors member

Hi, I tried Safari 4, but I still prefer my Firefox addons. The addon I'm specifically looking for is a way to get the "top sites" page into Firefox. I think I remember seeing this at one time, but I can no longer find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't add a Safari feature to Firefox. If Firefox doesn't have a "Top Sites" function, you're out of luck. Just use Safari 4, if that feature is important to you.

3. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

yes, but I feel sure I've seen an add-on that does this... :confused:

4. nutman macrumors regular

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

google toolbar for firefox 3 does the top visited site with thumbnail like in chrome.

[​IMG]

if you don't mind only seeing the title and url w/o thumbnail, use autodial, which is very nice. I like it because it offers much more entries.

[​IMG]

there is another autodial on steroid. Im not sure if I like it, but you might try it out for yourself. Obviously, its in conflict with autodial, since they both replace your new tab content.

[​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can NOT add a Safari 4 feature to Firefox. You CAN add a Firefox add-on, but that's NOT the same.

"How do I add some features of Safari 4 [beta] to Firefox"... you can't.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we all know what OP means, let it go.

8. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry for any confusion I caused, I thought it was pretty clear that I was looking for add-ons that accomplish the same things that the new features of Safari 4 do. Speed Dial is looking nice, I think I'm going to go with that.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'll let go of what I choose to let go of! My point is, I DID have something to contribute to the OP. I took the time to respond. What I said is accurate. Installing a FF add-on is not the same as adding a S4 feature to FF, and it wasn't completely clear that the OP knew this, judging from the thread title.

10. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

speed dial is asking you to preset a group of websites you want to display, much like opera's speed dial.

while autodial, google toolbar and autodial 3D are generating the most visited list automatically, which I assume is what safari 4 is doing, and, what you are looking for.
    .... sigh, Op mentioned "addons" more than 3 times... well, whatever.