How do I buy a Sprint IP6+ A1524 Off-Contract for use on China Unicom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingcodez, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kingcodez, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Apparently the Sprint version is the super-unlocked (EDIT: Internationally) iPhone. I'd really like to get LTE going on China Unicom.

How can I pick one up off-contract in the US?

When I am in the US, can I just get some prepaid SIM to use with the phone, or is it really just on Sprint and their 2-year-plans only?

In two years, do any of you think that I'll be able to buy an IMEI unlock code or something for this phone?

If I can't grab a Sprint phone in the US, does anyone know if the GSM 6+ will work on LTE in China?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can buy it full priced from the Apple Store but it will still be locked to Sprint and unusable on other carriers. So it's practically worthless.

3. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

The Apple store sells them off-contract? I tried online but I couldn't seem to get around the new/existing user wall.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

You can buy any version other than Sprint, full price at an Apple Store. It'll work in China.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I fixed that for you because there is NO way you can possibly mean un-locked!

Sprint iPhones are locked to Sprint period.

Want it unlocked internationally? Establish service with Sprint, pay your bill on time for 90 days and then request an international unlock. They will NEVER unlock for US use.

The only other alternative is an expensive IMEI unlock (international only) if you can find someone. Or a Gevey or R-SIM.

Honestly, don't waste your time. Forget you ever heard that there was a Sprint iPhone.

6. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I thought it was unlocked internationally? I want the 6+ but my buddy has the 6 from Sprint on China Mobile. The sprint is the only phone with all GSM and CDMA bands.

It sounds cheaper to just train to HK and buy it in the store.

I don't know if the IMEI unlocks work yet, but there are listings for Sprint on the website that I use. Its only $100 or so, seems worth it to me vs a ticket to HK and hotel.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There are some reports that it is unlocked internationally IF you buy at an Apple store (full price) and IF you activate the phone on a foreign SIM first. Activate the phone on a Sprint SIM and it locks to Sprint.

But that's maybe one or two people I've heard of. The possibility that it's locked is very real.

As to the price…well, all I can say is that a Sprint international unlock is $0.

If $100 is worth it to you and the unlock service is legit then by all means act on that. I'm just pointing out what you are likely to encounter.

Keep in mind that if you ever sell the phone and it goes back to a US buyer, they're going to be stuck. Just saying.

8. Kingcodez thread starter macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Thanks for the info, I totally forgot about the Sprint>>locking thing. I think I'll just head down to ShenZhen and walk across the border and buy one in-person.. If I can wait that long..