How do I cancel iCloud I don't want to pay $20 a year?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Settings/iCloud/Storage & Backup

Click Change Storage Plan, Click Downgrade options. Enter your password when prompted. You can then select the free iCloud option, which will give you sync, but only a small amount of online storage.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Basic iCloud is free.
Does anyone actually fit all their stuff in 5 GB? I would love to use iCloud for backups, but can't justify the $100 a year it would cost me for my devices.

I havent seen much about the refund process. I received an iPhone 5 for a friend that is DOA according to Apple, as it gets lines on the keyboard in text messages and entering passwords. I need to get it swapped out, but even though they have only had the phone for almost a couple weeks their stuff doesn't fit in 5 GB, and they have no access to a computer. I want to pay for the storage just long enough to get the phone swapped out. It doesn't sound like it is too hard to get a refund either by calling them or through their email support.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Does anyone actually fit all their stuff in 5 GB? I would love to use iCloud for backups, but can't justify the $100 a year it would cost me for my devices.

I havent seen much about the refund process. I received an iPhone 5 for a friend that is DOA according to Apple, as it gets lines on the keyboard in text messages and entering passwords. I need to get it swapped out, but even though they have only had the phone for almost a couple weeks their stuff doesn't fit in 5 GB, and they have no access to a computer. I want to pay for the storage just long enough to get the phone swapped out. It doesn't sound like it is too hard to get a refund either by calling them or through their email support.
I back up 3 devices, 2 iPhones and an iPad, and that takes a total of 1.4 GB (one phone is 945 MB, another is 182 MB, and my iPad is 300 MB). The largest item I have is iBooks, which takes 77 MB. Sometimes photos/video take up a lot of space (if I'm on vacation or something), but I simply download them to the computer at that point anyway.

It doesn't back up any of my media, and I use iTunes match for music, so 5GB is more than enough for me. I have over 3 GB available still.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010

My backup is only 600MB. Apps and music don't count toward the 5GB. Do they have a lot of pics? I found that videos take up tons of space.

ashenfang

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I believe apple will give a no questions asked refund in the first 14 days. Also - lines in the keyboard is a problem many are experiencing. Seems to be a software issue.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I keep my info like contacts, calendars, bookmarks, etc on iCloud and keep my music on my mac. That way I can restore the important stuff formthe cloud and then later the less important things like music are pulled from my computer.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
My backup is only 600MB. Apps and music don't count toward the 5GB. Do they have a lot of pics? I found that videos take up tons of space.
Pics and videos are what take up the most space for me. They are the whole reason that I bought a phone with more storage. My 64 GB iPhone 4S is almost full, and a significant portion of that is pictures and videos.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I believe apple will give a no questions asked refund in the first 14 days. Also - lines in the keyboard is a problem many are experiencing. Seems to be a software issue.
I called Apple and they said it was a hardware issue. I called them after someone else posted here that Apple said the same thing to them. I'm willing to bet 99% of people are not seeing random lines on the keyboard once a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.