Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iconrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
I would like to change the start up sound on my computer, for the times I actually restart my computer the start up sound annoys me to no end.

I remember on one of my older computers, I think it was with Mac OS 7.x, I could configure alerts and start up sounds. ie when a floppy disk was ejected the computer could say "Game over man." it was cool, and I am sad that the new OS X doesn't have some of the capabilities that its predecessors had.

If anybody has an idea of how to change the start up sound I would really like to know. Thanks.

P.S. It would be nice if it were possible to attach .aif files.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I remember what you are talking about on System 7.x, but I believe it was accomplished via a 3rd party program.

iconrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
Just Had an idea... I think I'm going to go get my Mac SE and boot it up to find out... I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first plase.

Edit: I just found out that it was called SoundMaster and there is a v1.8.1 for Mac OS 8.x . I also found out that the creator of SoundMaster didn't accept my e-mail... aol reply "user" is not accepting mail from this sender...

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
If you are talking about the immediate sound you get upon starting the machine.. this sound cannot be changed. It's built into your board and is machine (imac, powermac, ibook, etc. ) specific.. there are apps I know that allow you to play a sound after your machine has booted up.. check out versiontracker.com

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
is this the startup chime you get when you start up any mac. if that is so you cant change those. that sound is in the firmware.

iJon

iconrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
Yes I am talking about the sound that is immediately herd... thanks for the tip on versiontracker.com

I am confused though that there are two different responses. are you both insidejonshead and iJon talking about the same thing...

Thanks for the help.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
insidedanshead... and yes we are.. and with your confirmation that its the immediate sound upon start up then no.. you cannot change that sound... the only thing you can do is disconect your internal speaker to silence it, but if you use the internal speaker you probably don't wanna do that.

iconrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
Sorry about quoting your name incorrectly. Yeah, i don't want to disconnect my internal speaker. I guess I will have to live with the sound. Thanks

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yep we are talking about the same thing. you cant change it. like he said, you can have another sound come on after that. but that chime is built into the mac, not a software thing.

iJon

Hobbist

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2003
singapore
I think there is a way to silence the chime. Simply plug in a jack to one of the headphone outputs on the front of the imac. this disconnects the speaker. I use a mini jack to standard jack adapter for my headphones, and leave it there even when my headphones are not in use. the startup is chime-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.