How do I clean my MacBook's monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juiceman311, Jul 20, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

This always seems like a silly question to me, but now I see why some people have to ask. This is my first laptop; I tried using a damp cloth, which didn't help. I reluctantly used a touch of glass cleaner, didn't really help either. Is there some trick or product I should use?

Thanks...I tried searchng, and didn't have the patience to sift through everything with "clean" in it.

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I recently cleaned a few macbooks' glossy screens at work. I used this foam on it that I used on the matt screen laptops, but it made big smear marks. Then I sprayed regular glass screen cleaner on a viva paper towel, and that cleaned the screen nicely.

3. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I second using iKlear. Its great for cleaning most Apple products :)

4. JasonMac macrumors regular

JasonMac

I just use a lint free eye glasses cloth, works great!!!

5. barnettgs macrumors member

I bought lint-free wipes (or cloth) yesterday based on advice from Apple's manual and damped it with a bit of water. Worked very well on one month old greased screen!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A dampened cloth appears to work very well on my laptop LCD when I'm traveling. Otherwise I prefer to use a solution of water and rubbing alcohol.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Another vote for iKlear. Great for LCD TV screens as well.

8. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Any glass cleaner should work fine. Just use a soft lint free cloth and turn off your comp before you clean.

9. lesfleanut macrumors newbie

If your screen could talk, it would tell you not to use glass cleaner on it. I'd probably request that you also stop watching all those bad movies, but I digress. The chemicals in glass cleaners (namely alcohol) can severely damage your precious screen, and should never be used. iKlear seems a bit expensive, but most things associated with apple are. Search the tubes for a cleaner specifically formulated for LCD screens and you shall save a life.

10. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

And another. No streaks, no residue. On a larger monitor, it does help to turn it off first and let it cool down. The iKlear liquid doesn't "run" as fast on a cooled screen.

11. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Do NOT under any circumstances use standard glass cleaner. You'll strip the glossy (or matte, for you owners of other Mac models) coating right off the screen and cause a few hundred $$ worth of damage. iKlear is a good alternative...

...but I'm cheap. I use a 25/75 isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol/water mixture on my iMac.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I used windex on my Macbook (body and screen) and it worked great (though the dirty marks around the trackpad are impossible to get off). :)

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Too True and on a black macbook can look really nasty

There are companies - I found one in Oz, who supply covers for the trackpad. I got mine of ebay for around $3 and it's made of a thin black acrylic. It covers the trackpad, making it look like new and your actually able to clean them. Also they supply two at a time so if anything goes wrong ;)

For all the laptop range I suggest you all check out Moshi protectors.

They look great because you dont know they are there, and they fully protect the palm, trackpad and button areas and prevent any dirt or degredation to their surface.

http://www.aevoe.com/moshi/

Keeps your laptop looking like new for $20-25

14. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Looks quite good actually. Can't find any on eBay (UK), but found some for £13. Probably a bit pricey for what is essentially two bits of sticky plastic, but might be worth it.

15. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

You probably won't want to use rubbing alcohol, since it is an abrasive. Buy some monitor cleaning solution from your local office store and spray it on a lint-free cloth and then wipe your monitor. Don't spray on the screen first because the excess liquid will seep into your LCD panel and wreak not-so-good-of-consequences on your display.