Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Is there a way to clean the keyboard of my new 17-inch PowerBook? There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just that from where I sit, I can see little pieces of dust and such down there under the spacebar. It's so beautiful that I'd love to clean it and keep it happy, shiny, and new, but I can't figure out how. Anyone?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-shakespeare

Aircan for your underkey debris.

White pure cotton terrycloth hand-towel with Blue (ammonia-based) Windex for the the tops of the keys, screen, and skin.

Don't use green or clear windex's - they are vinegar - acidic.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by patrick0brien

Don't use green or clear windex's - they are vinegar - acidic.

I use Windex (with vinegar) on my monitor all the time. Am I corroding the anti-glare polish, or anything like that? Basically, should I stop?

Originally posted by MacFan25
Do they work pretty good?

Yeah they do. But I don't know if they will work as well with a laptop keyboard which generally has less space in between each key.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by scem0
I use Windex (with vinegar) on my monitor all the time. Am I corroding the anti-glare polish, or anything like that? Basically, should I stop?

-scem0

In truth, you'll probably be fine. But the key word is 'probably'. You would do best to stick with a solution that is more on the Basic side rather that Acidic.

It's also more effective on fingerprints so you'll find that you'll use less as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.