how do i connect my Windows laptop to my Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

my company gave me a dell laptop that i have to use for work and i dont know how to connect to the dang internet wirelessly with it. it says that windows cannot connect to this wireless connection. is there something that i have to install? TIA!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I'm having the EXACT same problem. My work-issued Dell Latitude 600 laptop can "see" my wireless network from my iMac, but won't connect.

I'll post the iMac hardware specifics requested in the above posts when I go home today at lunch. Please standby; I'd appreciate helpful suggestions or solutions. :D

5. drayman86 macrumors newbie

iMac can't share internet with XP PC.

OK, here's more information on my problem:

My work-issued laptop is a Dell Latitude 600:

Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Dell Wirelss 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card from Broadcom, PCI bus 2, device 3, function 0

My iMac has the following:

AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87)

OS X 10.4.9

Security-enabled WEP with a 40 bit encryption and a 5 character password consisting of two letters and three numbers, i.e. AA123

Internet is shared through the built-in ethernet connection

I am using Windows to configure my wireless connections on the PC. The PC has been able to connect to other networks, both secure and non-secure. The secure network was a Linxys.

Here's what happens when I try to get my PC to connect to the iMac to share the internet connection: The PC's wireless connection manager can view two available networks within range, mine and another. (I think the other belongs to my neighbor). Both are indicated "security enabled". When I connect to the other, it brings up the "enter password" dialog box. When I try to connect to mine, the error message reads:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no loner be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."

Can someone please help me get the PC to log onto my iMac's network?

Thanks!

(Of course, my girlfried's G4 Powerbook has no trouble sharing my iMac's connection......) ;)

6. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i cant help you, but maybe someone will come along...

i setup my airport extreme on my mbp, and i was trying to connect to the network with my dell laptop, but it had a simliar error to yours. but for some reason, it just started working.

7. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, proverbs.

Still hoping for some help with this problem. From what I've seen on this board, XP PC's seem to have difficulty talking with iMacs in the wirless setting.

Thanks again for all the views. Perhpas someone has a solution? :confused:

8. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

i hope someone answers your question too...

i ran into another problem regarding my network. my windows laptop connects to my wireless airport extreme network perfectly now, but i'm not sure how to connect to the printer. i have a printer connected on my airport and it works great with the 3 macs that i have on my network - but i have not found a way to print with my dell laptop. i installed the printer drivers, etc., with the cd, but it still doesnt work. any advice?

9. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Sorry, I can't help. I'm a total newbie when it comes to Macs and wireless networking.

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

If i'm not mistaken, in these kinds of situations you have to copy down the hexadecimal equivalent of your key. Meaning, if it is AA123 it'll probably be something like 6161313233

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Airport extreme is strange, is apple configuring its router to reject windows :D ?

OK, back to topic, Im using other brand of router, to my experience, all of them has a configuration page which u can access from your browser by directing to IP address, the address normally is on the manual with the router, goto the configuration page, change the password content/format to a universal value and try again.

or, u can buy another router from d-link, etc, cisco etc.

PS. in my memory, 40bit password suppose to be composed of 10 letters/numbers. NOT sure tho

12. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Nah not intentionally I think. But what he's trying to do is share his internet from the iMac through the built-in wifi to his windows PC. I think it has to do with the translation of ASCII to HEX that is funny on the windows side. Try setting it to use WPA2 or higher. Should work or just copy the hex key.

13. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Your issue is likely to do with WEP40, really that technology is ancient and you really shouldn't use it. I would suggest bumping up the encryption rate to WPA, or WPA2 if you have a card that supports it. That will likely solve all your issues and make your connecting significantly more secure and compatible.

14. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Excellent suugestion. I cannot, however, configure my 2007 iMac to support WPA or WPA2.

OK, new question: why can't I confingure my iMac's security to code in WPA or WPA2? The only choices available to me in the Systems Preferences/Internet/Air port opitons is WEP40.

I update software frequently. Is there another update or some other fix I require to run WAP or WPA2 on my iMac? Please see system specifics in above post.

Thanks again for all the replies and views. :apple:

15. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

open airport admin utility (spotlight it if you don't know where it is) > under airport tab > change airport security > encryption type

you know it's always good to read the user guide that comes with your apple product. :)

16. drayman86 macrumors newbie

The iMac didn't come with any specific manual or instructions on sharing the internet connection.

In systems preferences, the Airport Options only allow WEP encryption. There's no choice for WPA or WPA2.

Any suggestions on how to get airport upgraded to WPA/WPA2?

17. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I believe its because Apple didn't intend for you to use your iMac's AE connection as an Access Point. Get yourself a wireless router or get the Airport Extreme Base Station. It'll serve you much better and is more secure :D

18. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

That said: How preposterous ! !:mad:

One of THE reasons I purchased my iMac was the fact that it was advertised as containing a wireless router. If the iMac can't "talk" to 80% of the computers on the market, what's the point? :confused:

I expected the Airport Extreme that was sold WITH my iMac to perform EXACTLY as a base station. It appears as though the Airport Extreme in my iMac doesn't contain the latest in wireless encryption, i.e. WPA and/or WPA2. This iMac was purchased in Feburary of 2007.

How very frustrating.

I really like my iMac and this platform; trouble with this wireless connection, i.e. sharing internet connection with a PC via the built-in Airport, is about THE only problem I've encountered. Again: the iMac shares the internet connection with a G4 just fine, WEP encryption and everything. Will NOT share internet connection with a PC. PC "sees" the airport/wireless, but will not connect.

Why can I NOT share an internet connection with a PC ? ? ?

Again, MANY thanks for all the views and replies. I'm still hopeful, just getting frustrated. :)

19. SNiFFER07 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and it sems to be with the WEP encryption but only when sharing the internet.

I can connect to a standard network created on the mac WITHOUT encryption
    I can connect to a standard network created on the mac WITH encryption
    I can connect to a Internet Sharing network created on the mac WITHOUT encryption

But it won't connect to a internet sharng network with encryption?

I'm using Vista on a notebook connecting to a iMac Intel with built in Airport,

Have serached google for answers but only found otheers with the problem and most people seem to just get a wireless router,

20. SNiFFER07 macrumors newbie

OK - I got mine working!!!

Have a look at:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030803030354585

I think it has to do with setting the channel, when setting the key index in windows I only had the options of 1-4, so went back to the mac and specified 1 as the channel and set the key index to 1 in windows and bang it burst into life!

Good luck - hope this can work for you too:)

21. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've noticed the same problem, no solution I've been able to find so I just went for the solution everyone else did and bought a router. They're not too expensive so it's not really a bad option, and I love not being tied down. (This applies more to notebooks, but occasionally you might want to move your computer desk someplace where your modem can't be and so forth, so even if it's temporary that there are multiple computers around, a wireless router is a good investment.)

22. jdmedina macrumors newbie

I was able to pull this trough doing the following:

Mac

Go to the share internet config pane. Go to airport options. Select channel 1 then activate WEP encyption. Use a HEX code for this. You should download WEP Key Maker (Google it). Enter a 5 word passphrase and convert it to HEX making sure to select the 40 bit (length) feature. Then return to the Airport options and enter your hex code like this: $XXXXXXXXXX. Finaly choose 40bit as your ecryption type. Start sharing.

Windows

First of all I use a NetGear adapter that comes with the Wireless Assistant. This was the only way I got to connect. I've tried all the Windows Based configs they are without luck.

So if you do have this utility or anything similar try this:

Go to the networks tab and click on scan
    Choose your Airport Mac access point
    Choose connect
    when prompted choose wep security, then enter key manualy. Choose key 1, your HEX code (without $) and 64 bit and apply
    Voila

Worked for me. Although I gotta say the airport card included in my mac has some sort of poor signal, not as good as a wireless router but oh well, I got it to work!

Will try to connect through the windows config... and I will let you know

Update:

Still couldn't get the windows config to work but got a little app that seems to cennect. It's called Network Magic. Once installed it found my Mac access point, told him to connect, asked for my password and entered the HEX code. I couldn't connect but the app has a "solve connection" feature that once I ran it I got it to connect to my Mac. This is not a freeware but I know one can find a workaround for it.

Hope this helps

23. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Where in Apple's site does it say that it contains a wireless router? It says that it comes with a wireless card built-in but NOT a router built-in. Those are two totally separate things.

24. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've spent countless hours trying to set up an Mac to PC wireless connection. It just doesn't work most of the time. Really though, after you've spent more a thousand dollars on a brand new iMac, would $40 for a good router hurt that much?

25. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Well, I haven't tried it that way but I've tried sharing my internet connection through ethernet and it works just fine :D