How do I control brightness with Apple Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamk77, Jul 31, 2009.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

When my laptop is connected to my Apple Keyboard, I can control the brightness with the F1 and F2 keys on my external Apple Keyboard. However, when I connect an external monitor to my MacBook Pro, the F1 and F2 keys no longer work.

Is there a way to control the brightness of my laptop's screen (NOT the external monitor) with my external Apple Keyboard even when an external monitor is plugged into my MacBook Pro?

I have the late 2008 uMBP.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Might want to try F14 and F15 as well. Sometimes those also control the brightness.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you are using the laptop's screen, then the laptop's keyboard will be right in front of you, so you can control the brightness with it.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Here's a list of commands you can use to control your laptop screen brightness from the keyboard:

cmd+space; S; Y; S; T ; E; M; space; P; R; enter; tab; tab; tab; down; space; tab; tab; tab; tab; tab; tab; tab;

Then left or right to adjust brightness.

I'm guessing if you have an external monitor you may have to change this somehow.

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Are you sure that is not the code for unlimited lives on Contra?

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Up up down down L R L R B A B A Select Start. :D

I will never in my life forget that code. Yet I can not memorize my bank account number no matter how hard I try.

7. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some people use it in clamshell mode. I don't, but some may. And it's a bit far away.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

Odd, I have the same set up (late 2008 unibody macbook pro) and using it with an external monitor (a samsung in this case) my F1/F2 brigtness keys still work properly. Same when I'm using my Viewsonic external at home (one is running MDP-->DVI, one is MDP-->VGA.

I think it should still work?